NEWARK, NJ | The Halo (289-301 Washington Street) | 619 FT | 53 + 52 + 42 FLOORS

The project, known as “The Halo,” is being proposed for 289-301 Washington Street, between William Street and Branford Place. The plans, which were designed by Minno & Wasko, call for a high-rise complex with two 40-story buildings connected by a five-story base.

There would be 66 studio apartments, 132 one bedrooms, and 99 two-bedroom units in each building, for a total of 594 in the entire complex. A source who provided information on the condition of anonymity told Jersey Digs that 20 percent of the units at The Halo is expected to be designated as “affordable housing.”

Located a block away from Teachers Village, 289-301 Washington Street is located farther west than other large recent development proposals in Newark’s central business district. The Halo would be the first one of its kind on the Washington Street corridor and would replace what has long been a privately owned gated parking lot.

The plans have been submitted to the Newark Central Planning Board as an “as of right” application, according to the source, and are expected to be heard in the near future. Should the approvals be granted, construction could begin next year and be completed as soon as the beginning of 2021.

7 Likes

Less than two years after acquiring a 0.62-acre site in downtown Newark, a developer has tapped Meridian Capital Group to market it as a multifamily investment in one of the city’s many Opportunity Zones

:grin:

“In light of the recent draconian legislation passed in New York, which is having a further chilling effect in any and all types of development, it is wonderful to just cross the river and have Newark welcome with open arms the revitalization of the downtown,” he said.

4 Likes

:thinking:

One of the towers would be 46 stories tall and contain 360 units while another would be 42 stories tall and contain 292 units, a zoning determination form says. The final structure would consist of 38 floors and 297 units.

These towers would range in height from 485 to 565 feet should The Halo come to fruition, according to a March 10 municipal staff report, making them among the tallest buildings in the state outside of Jersey City and Atlantic City.

5 Likes

Another day another Newark proposal

Hope this one comes to fruition

5 Likes

The design is the best part. Very sci fi.

From the developers comments, it seems like he actually really wants this to go through, unlike the other 100000 developers that propose projects in Newark only for there to be radio silence for years

7 Likes

holy crap this is insanely dense.

Funding secured

5 Likes

These towers look really cool. Good to know they’ve got the finances for it and it’s approved.

Does anyone know when construction is planned to start? Their website states construction is already underway?

2 Likes

“Construction of Phase I will commence immediately with completion anticipated for January 2024.”
Also here is 2 pics you guys missed.

5 Likes

Great news, however is it just me or does the rendering look like it was done on some 90s software, or one of those custom SimCity 4 buildings you could make/download? I hope we get a higher-quality rendering because the design looks very amateurish despite exciting height and bulk. I much prefer the original.

Missed this, new website is up. Studios start at 1,495

They even have a 3D view of the units

Edit: looks like foundation work is beginning

10 Likes

This thing looks amazing ^

this seems too good to be true

1 Like

As first spotted in Newark subreddit.

9 Likes

That base looks nice. Hopefully someone nukes that surface parking lot next to it and puts up a building of similar scale, or even taller.

1 Like

Newark has so much potential. Was looking at the website for this building and the rent is pretty cheap compared to JC and NYC.

1 Like

Credit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Newark/comments/vd7d4c/halo_site/

6 Likes

Amazon should have gone to Newark. It has great airport access, plenty of room for growth, great mass transit to NYC, plenty of schools to recruit from, great suburbs for employees with families, distribution hubs around Secaucus, etc., etc. Would have been a game changer.

2 Likes

This is the biggest project I know out of Newark, I don’t keep close track though so can someone point me to other stuff going on there