NEW YORK | The Cortland (555 W 22nd St) | 250 FT | 26 FLOORS

foundation work appears to have reached ground level

9 Likes

The street level rebar is now embedded in concrete: they are now going above grade with next level of form work for the poured concrete floor/ceiling slabs. I have watched this site work frequently; this type of up-close photography is something special - will be above ground and out of sight soon.

7 Likes

Can anyone guess why the vertical rebar has little plastic ‘hats’ put on each one: I think I can guess the answer.

5 Likes

I assume for visibility/to protect the workers?
:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

You may be right: but I think it is something a bit more gruesome. Workers are often working on ladders, scaffold, or upper sections directly above those rebar ‘spikes’. If a worker falls on top they would be immediately ‘impaled’ by the rebar: and likely die or be severely injured from the wounds. Those caps serve to blunt the sharp edges so a falling body does not get skewered in the event that they fall on top of the rebar from above. That is either something I have surmised: or perhaps I was told this by someone who knows more about OSHA than I ever will. I really am not sure where I got that idea, but bet I am right on that guess.

I thought those caps were to protect the ends from corrosion?

1 Like

Safety is the concern leading to the caps—both as a sight grabber and a cover for risky edges.

3 Likes

Crane is up

6 Likes

Photo shows round electrical junction box, with blue tubes attached. They are just beneath the rebar; so when the concrete is poured the electrical lines are imbedded inside the floor/ceiling slabs. I did not know for sure that they ran electrical lines inside the concrete: now I know how they get those ceiling light fixtures connected. One never knows what they may learn looking at these photos - thanks for the pics JC Heights…

2 Likes

Yep. That’s why many cement floor/ceiling apartments cause owners headaches. When they have ceiling fixtures in dining areas and lack them elsewhere the only way to improve lighting with more modern ceiling systems is to build soffits or surface wiring since putting wires through cement is typically barred, too noisy for neighbors, or too expensive. That was our problem when redoing our apartment about a decade ago.

2 Likes

The the pouring of the concrete floor slab on the first level above grade will be ready to start soon: the framing formwork is being put in place today. The construction barriers on the sidewalk with the cut-out openings offer a very good close up view of the job site. Soon all this activity will be too high up to get these type of on-site, detailed imigages of the construction components that go into the process leading to the finished product. I bet construction engineers and architects alike all love the YIMBY forum photos.

5 Likes

Credit: Michael Young

5 Likes

The white building in the picture - with the large windows - that side had great views looking north up the Hudson River. That is a new condo only completed about a year ago, private drive-in car port - mostly multimillion dollar apartments. I was in one recently for work and the owner told me the Hudson River view north was the selling point for him - he was unaware of this new project that was on the drawing board at the time he made the purchase. Too bad he was not on the YIMBY forum - we could have given him a chance to see the future elimination of his Hudson River View looking north. However, he still will have some water view: probably as far as 34th street: that is what is know as a 1st world problem.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1ND0RdAwXV/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

5 Likes

This is a classic beauty: stone facade, punch windows (NOT floor to ceiling glass), articulated setbacks, light color, solid and substantial looking structure. I look forward to seeing those precast stone panel for the facade; what material that is exactly remains to be seen.

2 Likes

Tectonic

10 Likes

Credit: City Realty

10 Likes

The diagram from the article above is really interesting. Should be a great looking complex:

7 Likes

Today

10 Likes

Good posts, saves me the effort lol.

1 Like