NEW YORK | Rose Hill (30 East 29th St) | 639 FT | 46 FLOORS

Rockefeller Group to buy NoMad development site

Rockefeller Group, the city landlord perhaps best known for the large office towers it owns along Sixth Avenue, is in contract to acquire three adjacent buildings on East 29th Street that it plans to demolish to make way for a 170,000-square-foot condo project.

The firm is buying three buildings between Park Avenue South and Madison Avenue—30–32 E. 29th St., 34 E. 29th St. and 36 E. 29th St.—plus development rights from neighboring properties, to build a condo tower with 100 or more luxury units.

The buildings were owned by a collection of investors who may have been banking that a buyer like Rockefeller Group would combine the sites into a bigger development. According to city property records, Extell Development owns 30–32 E. 29th St., W Brothers owns 34 E. 29th St. and Michael Aryeh owns 36 E. 29th St.

It wasn’t immediately clear what Rockefeller is paying for the sites and the additional development rights. Brokerage firm Eastern Consolidated had been marketing 30–32 E. 29th St. for Extell with an asking price of $74 million.

“We are under contract to purchase multiple parcels and surrounding air rights in the vicinity of Madison Square Park, which would create a large assemblage in what we consider a very desirable neighborhood,” a spokesman for Rockefeller said in a statement. “As a company policy, we don’t disclose details on potential acquisitions, but we are actively evaluating residential- and office-development opportunities throughout New York City.”

3 Likes

NoMad is becoming the next boomtown for slender residential towers. It would be interesting to see a large, new office tower somewhere in the neighborhood - but hopefully not at the price of a swath of beautiful old buildings. At least the ones pictured aren’t particularly pleasant. Luckily it looks like Rockfeller Group is going for condos this time, so the slim trend will probably continue.

This sucks.

I like these old buildings.

Me too!

NoMad = the next skyscraper frontier? http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=2&passjobnumber=121204552&passdocnumber=01

ps my office tower hopes were answered at 1 W 29th.

2 Likes

THis sucks. That’s a beautiful building. There’s plenty of sh…it there that can be redeveloped.

3 Likes

While it sucks to lose those beautiful old buildings, at least a gorgeous tower will rise in its place. Cetra Ruddy is amazing.

10 Likes

I agree. This one does look really nice so far. Plus it has a height bump to 639 ft now.

4 Likes

that base is all sorts of yes.

4 Likes

The demo crews were very active today, and the old buildings are down to remnants of the 1st floor. Too bad they didn’t get the hunk of junk on the right.

7 Likes

Nice update. Already forgot about this one. Glad they seem to be moving fast to demo now. That building on the right is crap indeed, especially compared to the one to the right of it.

1 Like

Looks like demo is complete. Just waiting to start digging- hopefully soon.

Today

7 Likes

Yesterday. More digging/foundation work

8 Likes

sry for crappy pics, down to bedrock now

8 Likes

There were like 2 dudes working on this entire project today. I feel like this one might take a while.

7 Likes

This could probably be moved to under construction

12 Likes

Excellent!

3 Likes

Sadly, there was a CO incident at the site today.

5 Likes

I’m sure this will look good but comparing to icons like esb, Chrysler, 1wtc, flatiron, 30rock etc in this new rendering is a bit far fetched. No way it will come close to any of those.

Updated rendering here

6 Likes

A black facade building like this really needs gold or brass colored accents.

5 Likes