NEW YORK | Port Authority Bus Terminal Renovation/Replacement

I love Pelli’s proposal which builds the new terminal over the horrible road network on Dyer.

I’d like to see a new MSG occupy the base of a mixed use tower on the 40th-41st St sides of the current PA terminal and a new park on the 42nd St side.

1 Like

I enjoyed Pelli’s proposal the most also. Either way, it’s good to finally see some progressive discussion about replacing the existing structure

1 Like

I liked Pelli’s the most as well.

I think the best is by Hudson Terminal Center Collaborative.

6 Likes

They’re all surprisingly nice.

1 Like

Great

It appears that the PA will stay in its sad, current form. This is NY. The City and State can’t accomplish anything other than providing lavish giveaways to the poor and absurd pensions to cops and garbagemen. It’s amazing that a new Hudson River Bridge and LGA were built.

However, Penn Station, MSG, and the PA will all remain as garbage,

4 Likes

Our leaders (well Chris Christie mostly) also pissed away the ARC tunnel opportunity. But if you don’t build when there’s a window, you might never get that chance…

I agree. Instead of spending $650B a year on the military and giving Israel, Egypt, etc. billions each year, we should build new (and fix broken) infrastructure, improve education, health care, etc.

2 Likes

The way the government spends money in this country is clusterfuck of magnificently huge and unprecedented proportions…
Literally the 14 digit scale over the last few decades

1 Like

As a fan of architecture and our transit infrastructure, this double hurts.

3 Likes

It’s disgusting from 48th street down to PABT and the garment district. This could’ve pushed for major trickle-down effect, connecting Hudson Yards and midtown. Need to replace the dried up politicians.

PREACH!!!
https://m.popkey.co/c221cd/aW8X6_s-200x150.gif
Not to get off subject but the way the US wastes its money is ABSURD

In which world is it reasonable that only 3% of the budget is for science, 3% for transportation, 5% for health etc.
Well the country is a mess but at least the US gives missiles to the saudis and have hundreds of military bases all around the world
:expressionless:

1 Like

The PA still plans on replacing the terminal. I agree with the general sentiments on govt. waste, but the premise is untrue. The site will be redeveloped.

And Penn is being upgraded/expanded, the NJ tunnel is being built, and MSG will be replaced. It’s just that these projects take FOREVER.

It’s absurd, Robert. Then again, many Americans believe that the creation story in the Bible is true and that global warming is a hoax. This is a crazy country.

3 Likes

I wish that were true.

The latest plan for the PA was to keep that heinous structure and add two floors:

Likewise, the most disgusting train station in the developed world will simply get a new 8th Ave entrance.

MSG, which is the worst arena in sports, isn’t going anywhere.

At least in NY we accomplish spending more on Medicaid than states far larger than us and paying cops $150k/ year with $100k pensions so that they can move to North Carolina or Florida when they’re 45.

On the federal level, the government won’t fund the Gateway Tunnel, but it gives Israel billions of dollars per year of our tax dollars to support their human rights abuses of the Palestinians.

No, Robert, that’s one of many options. No decision has been made.

And even if they stay on the current site, the site would be redeveloped. They would rebuild the terminal and add towers above. The terminal isn’t going to stay as-is, obviously.

But that appears to be the option they’re inclined to take due to costs. Also, that option does not entail razing that horrible prison-like fortress. It just entails adding new floors.

Keeping that heinous eyesore in the middle of Manhattan should not be an option.

Is it really? What is the estimated completion date?

Yeah, not to prolong this off topic thing but I think what makes the spending especially crazy is that a huge part of that military cash isnt even for our military-- it’s for foreign nations, including sketchy ones that could turn on us any day

1 Like