NEW YORK | Port Authority Bus Terminal Renovation/Replacement

Thank god they didn’t select some garbage architect like BIG to design something as important as this.

Foster at least can design decent stuff (e.g. 270 Park Avenue). Looking at his portfolio, he has designed high-quality public transport facilities such as airports, train stations, etc. so something quite nice might come out of this.

3 Likes

Have you ever seen Toranomon Azabudai by Pelli Clarke Pelli?
That should be NYC way and not more boxes and boxes.
They designed on 15 Penn what could have been NYC-if not America- best 21st cent skyscraper up to date. Shame they were taken apart.

Oh yeah I love to see something like that here. Would be awesome.

Though there’s no way to do that kind of project with these requirements, it’s a bus terminal.

I’m fine with more, different architects coming and leaving their mark. That’s great. Just not BIG.

3 Likes

I’d say a few towers that stack up to the top like BIG’s Two WTC could work here. I wouldn’t turn him down imo, he’s made lots of great designs.
His Cactus towers are interesting too

2 Likes

F+P also released their own news press info with their own graphic of the site that is consistent with the first graphic but makes the dimension of the buildings more proportional to their mentioned figures in the FEIS report.

8 Likes

Could they make this project any more boring?

I wouldn’t judge the development based on “renditions” of the essential massing zoning diagrams, they are only meant for educational purposes to show the size and scope of the project. Similar to how the massing diagram for the Empire Station Complex only shows a bunch of boxy tower massings because they are just shown to exhibit how the forms will possibly look through the imposed zoning configurations that they must follow, but that is not how they will end up looking.

8 Likes

These towers will be bigger than that though. Whether that be taller or fatter. (Hopefully taller) For Ex. The site 1, 3 million sqft number is just zoned usage, and doesn’t take into account mechanical and non floor use areas (per NYguy).

These are going to be some of the largest ones in the entire city. Crazy stuff going on man.
Hopefully they aren’t as boring as those massings. Unfortunately I know I’m going to be disappointed no matter what, I mean it has similar sqft to Merdeka 118 which even without the spire is 1,702 ft.

2 Likes

I wish the tower on 8th ave was centered over 41st, would make for some cool visuals and engineering.

1 Like

I’m aware of that, but the massings take into account the percentage for floor area not calculated within the zoning area taken from FAR measurements. Otherwise they’d be depicted even more asburdly large.

3 Likes

I hope it is just massing and not the final shape. Setbacks are quite common among Foster late skyscrapers. Just wished something as great as 350 Park or Hearst Tower. Even if it is boxy, something like new Suhe Center in Shanghai would look great. Foster Philadelphia’s super tall is just great as well.
Would be great if there was a mix of different architects designing each one the designated lots. Like PCP, SOM, KPF and Foster themselves. Is it possible?

1 Like

i’m guessing Foster is going to call dibs on the flagship tower of this development, though in the end it will be up to the individual developers selected to build each tower.

Mass diagrams/renders that have the zoning information already just use those figures and information to portray what is roughly possible with the given information and their rough location. They are no where near the final design. The next set of developed diagrams/renders would show the maximum building envelope and area of encroachment and be slightly/more refined. There are many possibilities that could come out of these masses.

As far as having different Architects/Firms design the 4 tower is questionable. For now, since all we know is that F+P and Epstein are designing the Bus terminal and low lying structure itself with the PANYNJ being the developer in that case, it doesn’t make sense for multiple different architects to design the other towers without working in tandem with F+P and Epstein otherwise there will be no coordination in design between the towers and the terminal.

At the moment, we have to assume that the PANYNJ is developing the entire site (the bus terminal, 4 towers, and park land to the south) and that F+P and Epstein are also designing the 4 Towers until we get more information if someone else will be developing and designing the 4 towers.

And overall this entire thing is confusing if F+P and Epstein are “actually” designing anything, because all articles only mention that they are providing advising and consulting services to the PANYNJ. It all sounds like the same thing that was done for the Empire Station Complex where a firm was chosen to provide those same services to the city/MTA and generated the plans and renders that we’ve seen of that project.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Nice so we will have this massive development + Hudson Yards Phase 2 + Empire Masterplan + Macys Tower + all the towers going up on Park and near Grand Central.

Oh, and can’t forget the Two Bridges masterplan on the waterfront which will literally Miami-fy the waterfront.

2 Likes

Excuse me the question, but it doesn’t let me access 6sqft web anymore. Is there any restriction to people who access from Europe?

Can anyone help Salva_Orduna that is from Europe?

@ALC11 (continuation from other thread) In an iteration of Hudson Park (though one that doesn’t take into account the PABT) a cable stayed bridge was supposed to be built over the Lincoln Tunnel lot between Sites 3 & 4 and the lot north of that, but I haven’t seen any plans to continue that. But considering Hudson Park is still proposed to go up to the Lincoln Tunnel lot and northward, it’s very possible that some sort of integration could happen on the roof of the PABT and Hudson Park but not the Highline.

2 Likes

Thanks
One question, this development would extend until Hudson Yards, until the point Garment district gets totally redeveloped?
What about Hell’s Kitchen?

This is the (massing of the) development. It doesn’t extend to the HY development, but I don’t know if it necessarily extends to the border of the HY district.

1 Like

@mcart I think they meant if it could spur more development, not that the development boundary would get bigger? The overall project cuts into a portion of the Hudson Yards “district” (the part that is in Hell’s Kitchen anyways since it’s not classified as a district still)

@Salva_Orduna, though parts of this project only take up a small part of the Garment district, it has already begun to slowly be developed. Much of Hell’s Kitchen is under a preservation area, so a lot of it can’t not be changed/developed but for the southern side south of 43rd St.

3 Likes