NEW YORK | Port Authority Bus Terminal Renovation/Replacement

Governor Cuomo last year announced a plan to sell air rights above the bus terminal to pay for the renovation. How does a park over the top pay for it?

I’d much rather have a park. The air rights could be transferred to other nearby sites. The day will come that this new terminal becomes obsolete and getting rid of it with a 1,000’ tower upon it won’t be feasible.

3 Likes

And how does selling air right above the terminal translate to a tower over the site? Transferring air rights is extremely common in NYC.

The park doesn’t pay for anything — the air rights pay for the terminal, which includes the park.

2 Likes

I agree Robert. That’s exactly the problem we’ve run into with Penn Station. Sell the air rights to adjacent properties but keep the park.

1 Like

I myself really liked yesterday’s proposal.

I would have a very large proposal with Twin Towers of a height up to 2150 ft without spire.

Or just a terraced low building with lots of green space.

3 Likes

Now 3000 feet.

4 Likes

???
is too high, I have a third idea that looks nicer. But not on the computer only on paper.

Mackensen Tower

6 Likes

3000 is not too tall. New York needs the world’s tallest building again.

2 Likes

I think it’s a perfect fit.

3 Likes

We need Prince Alwaleed to deliver and build his mile high tower on top of the PABT.

3 Likes

Per NYguy:
Another look at it. I hope the final design can be something as pleasing to look at.

https://archilier.com/projects/port-…-bus-terminal/

15 Likes

“A 9.8-acre rooftop park, together with a 33,000 SF Eighth Avenue plaza form links in a new chain of public space that extends all the way from the High Line to Bryant Park.”
So this will connect to the highline, which will also now connect to Bryant Park. This also is combined with the highlines connection to 1 and 2 Manhattan West as well as the proposed extension all the way up to Pier (forgot which one it was)

Sorry, I can’t seem to post what I want. I think my internet is choking hard.
Anyway I was just going to post the pictures of the other 4 finalists. (though I prefer this one the most)
nvm there we go
Also here are the other 4 finalists stuff. If you want I can also pull up all of the info if you want.
Arcadis of New York: $4.2B

Hudson terminal: $15.3B

Pelli Clarke: $3.7B

7 Likes

Archilier’s design is by far the best, but I wish it would incorporate some of the subway stuff from the Hudson Terminal design. But then again that would make the cost skyrocket (as can be seen in the Hudson Terminal proposal), so it’s really about a balance unless some very rich donors just magically appear out of the woodwork.

What are the chances of this getting built?

6 Likes

That looks spectacular. But the Javits Center should be removed. Javits will probably be gone before the PABT towers are fully built out.

1 Like

Javits and MSG should be moved to Sunnyside Yard as anchors to platform over and develop the yard.

4 Likes

@Matthew_Vansickle
Completely random but I was going through 175 Park Ave’s thread (as one does) and one of your comments reminded me of this. Do you have an estimate on when it could be getting started?

Last I heard was early 2024, the reason why is overall design and all that other great (not) stuff they need to do before construction.

1 Like