NEW YORK | Penn Station Expansion/Improvements

This cladded like the Getty Center… I’m all in!

2 Likes

The CB5 meeting is wrapping up. They just passed a vote resolving to advance this Chakrabarti proposal to the city council, and recommend the city council consider a shorter extension of MSG’s current lease tied to redevelopment of the site. In short, the proposal would involve PAU’s 2016 proposal to upcycle the current superstructure of MSG to affordably create a new station building while removing the arena interior to create a light filled hall, and relocating MSG to the site bounded by 6th Ave, 34th, 7th Ave and 32nd. The arena would be in the center of the site, with density added at the corners – Chakrabarti estimates that with appropriate zoning, the developments could yield close to $3 billion in revenue to pay for the improvements to Penn Station.

I took a lot of screenshots from the presentation by EJ Kalafarski and Vishaan Chakrabarti. Please note that these are conceptual renderings and not actual designs.

23 Likes

Chakrabarti is by far the grandest thing you can imagine for that site,

I don’t think there is a single person in the world that can currently conceive of the scale, of how awe-inspiring the sight would be to stand at the platform level while looking up, all the way to where once used to be the rafters of the ‘world’s most famous arena’, while getting a glimpse into the greatest city in the world

11 Likes

Holy crap what a proposal

think it needs its own thread. Those towers have to be 1500 ft minimum

7 Likes

Oh wow wasn’t expecting the MSG relocation to be this big a scale of a project. Thanks for sharing your screenshots.

7 Likes

Praise the Lawd!

1 Like

So MSG gets moved off of Penn Station, but another McKim, Mead & White building gets demolished? Forget about it. The best thing that happened to Shop was Chakrabarti’s departure.

MSG needs to be evicted and let the Dolans build a new stadium anchoring a Sunnyside Yards redevelopment.

4 Likes

I admire the vision here, but why keep the hollowed out shell of an ugly architectural abortion as if it were some hallowed object worthy of preservation? Just tear the whole stadium down and take that monstrosity 2 Penn Plaza with it.

I do agree that the whole block to the north of Hotel Penn/Manhattan Mall should be razed. And I agree that MSG should stay in Manhattan.

I couldn’t care less about the Hotel Penn. Don’t care if it’s McKim, Mead and White. It should have been razed a decade ago.

7 Likes

I like the Hotel Penn and would like to see it get renovated, but sadly, even if (as is likely), this proposal goes nowhere and MSG stays where it is, Vornado intends to raze it.

I don’t see where NY will get all of the money to acquire the buildings needed to build this project.

Lastly, I agree that MSG belongs in the Bronx or in Queens.

3 Likes

Yeah I kinda feel the same way, it was one of those land titanic type hotels back in the day like the Hotel Astor and the original Waldorf Astoria.

I also kind of like its grungy 70’s lobby vibe with a few railings hinting at its more illustrious past.

from this:

to:

with hints:

4 Likes

That first photo shows why it should be restored.

I’d also like to see the Roosevelt remain, but sadly, that won’t happen either.

1 Like

Fantastic! Wonderful proposal. New York City would have a new pinnacle icon for the skyline.

1 Like

Let’s face it this idea will definitely get changed and it’s gonna be a long time until we see at something.

3 Likes

I just realized it’ll mean the acquisition and demolition of Manhattan Mall right? It’s on that block. I wonder if there could be any improvements made to the 34th St. PATH mezzanine below.

Either way, it’s radical changes like this that makes NYC so great - hope the plan pulls through!

4 Likes

It seems that it would require Vornado to swap the Hotel Penn and the Manhattan Mall for land closer to Penn, which makes sense to me.

I’d also love to finally see the garbage on the south side of 34th come down.

I just don’t see how our financially broke city and state would get the money to acquire all of these properties.

6 Likes

a4d181c183279b4885c28ce2fcd8d0088861f7c2_2_690x447

In color :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

the renderings don’t take into account the Macy’s Tower across the road?

7 Likes

Nice catch! Copying @rgarri4 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have an animation in the works showing all future projects of New York. I’ll post some previews here shortly.

9 Likes

YAY! We can run as a post if you can do a still frame or two of ^^^ with Garden City as well (and include video too)

1 Like