NEW YORK | One World Trade Center | 1,776 FT | 104 FLOORS

One world trade center taken by me on April 22nd

6 Likes

I’ve never taken the time to grasp the height of this structure from street-level.

8 Likes

Has anyone else noticed the antenna additions to the spire? When did this happen? Sharing from SkyscraperCity.

2 Likes

1 Like

those have been there for years

Worldtradecenter2021 has eagle eyes apparently

Per him:
First video I’ve seen that shows the (still incomplete) east plaza in front of One WTC (shown in the part at the end of the video from 7:58 and after)

2 Likes

I don’t know about anyone else but I find it extremely irritating that they still have not replaced the signage here after like 2 years.

1 Like

Given that the new East entrance has no signage, I think they gave up on having any and don’t want to pay for new glass without the mounts

2 Likes

Ugh! The least they can do is put some sort of giant “1” on all the entrance windows similar to what they did with 3 WTC. I hate how carless they are with this new complex.

6 Likes

This entire thing has been value engineering and comprises from the start. It turned out better than it could have, but it’s still a disappointment

7 Likes

Durst goes out of their way to put in far less effort than Silverstein. Their sidewalk sections around 1WTC are the worst maintained in the complex, their staff are the least professional, their building is the most value-engineered and least maintained (base lights still left broken, windows on NE corner broken years ago are still replaced with mismatched temporary glass, signage missing, West plaza has pieces of wood covering pavers). What a shame Silv Properties didn’t have the capital to maintain full control. I really don’t think they would let 1WTC get so bad.

7 Likes

At this point I’ve come to terms with how it turned out. I absolutely loathe and can never come to terms with how terribly treated this building is in maintenance.

Regardless of how you feel about the spire and the height argument, this building is still the tallest structure in our city and the owners can’t do the bare minimum.

3 Likes

Lets not forget 1 WTC’s rotating beacon is still broken. They clearly don’t care about the building.

3 Likes

I agree. Though is that just this building or the area? I know the Oculus’ floor is in bad shape

1 Like

Durst’s takeover of 1 WTC was the worst thing to happen to the rebuilt complex–worse than Pataki’s meddling or the cops’ demand for a bunker base. In addition to the maintenance issues outlined by bpc and the infamous removal of the spire’s cladding, Durst’s penny-pinching decision to manufacture the base’s original prismatic glass facade in China led to a cheap product that fell apart in blast tests and was subsequently dropped completely.

4 Likes

Pretty sure the entire area is in bad shape. The top lighting on 4 WTC just broke not too long ago as well. I visited the Oculus and not just the floor is in rough shape. I have seen plenty of rust and what looks like water intrusion in some places.

You would think an area as significant as the World Trade Center would be taken care of to a much higher standard…

5 Likes

The WTC moniker has always been marketing but given the site’s historical significance, it’s much more deceitful and shameful when seeing the lack of care in person.

3 Likes

I was wondering why the LED strips on 4 haven’t been on. The beacon at the top of 1 WTC’s spire has also never been repaired after being damaged by lightning years ago. (Don’t forget Durst’s main excuse for dropping the spire cladding was that it would make it too complicated to maintain the antenna. Well, there’s no cladding to get in his way and he’s still never fixed that beacon! Cheapskate.)

2 Likes

Crown lighting across the city is spotty. 30HY’s top looks like garbage, but the mall and street level is maintained well because that’s what people see.
Oculus is having issues, but it has massive foot traffic and some engineering issues and floor panels have been replaced regularly when they get super bad. Oculus is taking a beating, but there is active maintenance attempting to keep it up to shape whereas Durst has resigned its section to disrepair.

That’s interesting in itself. I’d love to see the Edge lit up like 1 Vandys top.

1 Like