NEW YORK | One High Line | 76 11th Ave | 400 + 300 FT | 28 & 38 FLOORS

What a pretentious name for a build that can’t even complete in a timely manner.

1 Like

One (or two or more years behind) High Line

1 Like

The curtain wall completion is near; but still going laboriously slow. This curtain wall detail is extremely labor intensive; black iron mounting bars, thick/solid stone panels, each seam grouted in place.

This is a high quality, very expensive curtain wall - and it looks fantastic. Consider the other BIG building on the West Side at 57th Street shaped like a pyramid: the entire curtain wall is made of thin sheet metal panels - each one probably only about 1/16th" Inch thick. That facade did go up much faster, but it is an entirely different process/quality/material.

Fine wine takes time… :smirk:

Take a look at those ‘details’ - “God is in the details”.

7 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Today from JC

15 Likes

Credit: GaryHershorn

9 Likes

I’m very tired of buildings that look like they’re falling down.

1 Like

This one doesn’t even have that though.

Now that I think about it, no building I know of has that.

2 Likes

Credit: GaryHershorn

13 Likes

10 Likes

10 Likes

Completion date Nov 6, 2143 -

11 Likes

Estimated, not confirmed

6 Likes

I agree, this one seems to be taking quite some time to complete.

Installing a stone slab facade on this twisting facade was an ambitious and daring attempt to build something out-of-the-ordinary. It seems to me the facade work is going at a slower than usual pace because of the the challenges the angular surface presents in the fabrication & installation.

Then again, maybe the slower than usual progress has more to do with the developer HFZ having financial difficulties on this project.

Whatever the reasons; this building is turning out to be a stunning beauty, and this type of ‘stand-out’ design will generate much international interest, with eager buyers attracted from far & wide.

The travertine stone facade was clearly an expensive and costly move; but doing Architecture with a Capital “A” is never easy.

1 Like

I’d say the slow progress is a result of the developer and not necessarily the complexity of the facade as it isn’t actually complex at all because the buildings aren’t really twisting. 4 of the 12 faces are “twisting” but the other 8 are perfectly flat. And even so, the twisting is still achieved with a slight offset in flat stone panels. The panels are very uniform up the entire facade so fabrication is not an issue either.

In the general sense, stone and brick facades will almost always normally take longer than just installing unitized curtainwall panels due to all the extra steps that are involved in laying brick and attaching/hanging stone.

3 Likes

I’m interested to see how “accessible” the inner courtyard will be to the general public once they are finished (probably not an inch…). The base seems to have many entry points that criss-cross the footprint of the complex.

I’d assume it’s open to “everyone” but I don’t know if anyone would really find interest in going in the courtyard since the 2 “open” entrances are just for the porte cochere to the towers and their respective lobbies. I’d imagine if there are businesses in the podium theyll be on the outer perimeter.

2 Likes

I know, I know… but they look pretty cool :grinning:

7 Likes

The renders do make the courtyard space to appear very nice

6 Likes