NEW YORK | Madison Square Garden

Nope, I want the developer to pay not taxpayers. MSG had a permanent tax abatement that was put in place back in the 80’s. Thats way past its lifetime and its time for the MSG owners to go somewhere else on their own dime. My gripe is always with greedy developers that are always looking towards the government for help with their business ventures.

Penn is clearly a civic space and should not be dictated by any private companies. Period.

2 Likes

They literally already do that with multiple other venues like Yankee stadium.

That’s because the transit was already existing there. You can catch multiple trains at Yankee Stadium and Barclays Center. If you move Madison Square Garden, you’d have to move it to a place that has multiple options of transportation. Remember, a lot of people from New Jersey, Connecticut, Long Island, Westchester and upstate NY go to see the Knicks, Rangers, and other events at the venue. Unless you are ok with people bringing even more cars into the city and taking up parking space, then go ahead and move MSG.

2 Likes

You genuinely can not move MSG unless you have the transportation options to do so and I don’t see any viable places in the city where you can put a large arena with multiple modes of transport that has the capacity to hold many attendees of an MSG event.

1 Like

By Yankee Stadium or LIC.

1 Like

This is Yankee Stadium and the area around it.

I circled the area that could MAYBE be a potential site for the arena but it would be highly unlikely due to the fact that field was where the old Yankee Stadium was. I can imagine the proposal for destroying the old field for a new stadium would be wildly unpopular.

1 Like

The Garden takes up two city blocks and reaches more than half way from one avenue to the next. A lot of structures would have to be destroyed just to build the arena alone. Then you’d also have to renovate the existing stations and transportation to up the capacity. It doesn’t seem like a bad idea until both venues have two major events at the same time and they let out around the same time period.

How about on the Hudson River by Hudson Yards or the Javits Center.

I always felt it should be attached to Javits

1 Like

The most recent Javits Center expansion actually now takes up that block next to the Michael J. Quill Bus Depot

What’s this?

On the left, the building with the buses on top. You can also see the Javits expansion here

1 Like

Why does it exist? What is its purpose?
Additional capacity? Or just convenience to Javits?

I have no idea if this is possible, but---- If the existing arena is torn down but its support structure is left intact, could a new arena be built higher up leaving the space under the arena for a light filled new Penn Station? Maybe the engineers in this crowd can think about that. I’m reminded of the plan now near completion that raised an historic theater above a new structure in Times Square. That one didn’t rip apart the theater, but my area idea was triggered by it. Thanks.

@mcart, It is one of the MTA’s bus garages and maintenance facilities.

@chused, The structure of the current arena is most likely causing a bottleneck in the current Penn Station layout, so it doesn’t necessarily make sense to keep the structure. As for raising it, your comparison to lifting the Palace Theater is slightly off because it’s not suspended, there is now structure underneath it where it was raised 30 feet, but I understand your point. If you were to keep the structure of the current MSG then the same conditions would exist below ground and it would be filled as well, it would not allow a configuration to Penn Station and wouldn’t allow for that much more natural light either.

TKDV: Thanks for the reminder that MSG is suspended, tho perhaps it could remain that way if lifted. Engineering wise it may, of course, be a pipe dream. And I wasn’t thinking that the space below the lifted Garden would be used for any purposes other than providing for a more open and expansive Penn Station. So many of us are fantasizing about MSG that I thot I’d add my dream to the bundle.

1 Like

Yeah that extension should have been a stadium. It literally makes the most sense out of any other site and could have been incorporated with Javits for various conventions etc…

But people seem to like to make things hard.

Sunnyside yards.

1 Like

That particular bus depot is the largest of the depots in Manhattan and largest of the ones in the entire city, it wouldn’t have been demolished for a stadium. Leaving behind the 2 lots of the Javits Center expansion wouldn’t have been big enough to fit a stadium.

Both Javits and MSG need to be kicked off the island to anchor redevelopment of Sunnyside Yard. The area is covered with plenty of subway lines. Put a convention center and hotel complex on the east end and it’s a 10-15 minute car ride from LGA.

1 Like