NEW YORK | 80-100 Flatbush Avenue (Alloy Block) | 482 FT + 840 FT | 40 + 74 FLOORS

Mullions do change pattern, I will get new close ups later today.

3 Likes

Here are some (bad quality) close ups where you can see the mullions shifting angles

9 Likes

Thanks for those! :+1: I wonder how the top most sections mullions will appear.

1 Like

It Is now picking from many angles

9 Likes

If nothing has changed with the building, I think they are actually working on the roof plate now, if not the last floor, which is double height. So if anything, the building will overall look as tall as the safety cocoon is.

2 Likes

B&W from November. Color from this evening.

13 Likes

Your pics reconfirm my suspicion that this one is on it’s roof level now, it just needs the mechanical bulkhead. This passed ground level last May, and now it’s basically topped out, amazing.

1 Like

They were hauling up some more fencing while I was there tonight so maybe they have another couple of floors to go yet? I mean I’m not 100% sure what I was seeing but I did catch multiple large frames of some kind going up.

4 Likes

They were probably concrete forms for the floor or core because I don’t think they would’ve been more safety cocoon parts. The only reason I believe it’s reached the roof is because the floor count of everything else matches up with the little model from the short video about the overall development, and when looking very closely through the safety cocoon, it looks like a double height floor is being built, which is the last floor as visible in the little model.

We can see about 4.5 floors in your last photo and there are 6 floors before the double height floor, which proportionally would line the model and photo up together to be the roof that is visible through the screen.

8 Likes

Excellent! The forms were indeed different from the cocoon and larger too.

2 Likes

I just saw these photos of the metal ‘fins’ or ‘louvers’ or mullions - whatever the term. This is great photographic evidence of the changing angles. I thought they were all the same shape - so thanks for the great pic.

Why they change angles I don’t know - my guess it has nothing to do with the aesthetics. I would say the angle of the ‘fins’ are probably determined by the angle of the sun in order to minimize solar heat gain, or maximize sunlight.

Whatever the reason: this is a great project to follow here on the YIMBY forum. Great photos…thanks.

1 Like

This was discussed earlier in the thread, they are purely aesthetic, they change because of the slowly shifting shape of the floor plates due to a pivot on one side on each of the setbacks. They do not project enough to be considered fins/louvers and are just exterior decorative mullions. Since they are all on the same angle of facade, them changing would have no affect with anything relating to the sun.

It’s the same priciple as the limestone exterior elements at 35 Hudson Yards, they are just decorative.

5 Likes

Thanks!
I don’t know the actual reason they decided to go with this design, but I can say the different angles create a pretty cool effect with the sun light:

8 Likes

I agree; they look really good. It is nice when a design has BOTH good ‘form’ and ‘function’. I hope someone in-the-know can post the reason for the different angles: looks cool, or functions well - or maybe both… idk.

I like this forum because these details can be hashed out, and the answers to these questions are often definitively settled. Your photos were very informative in that respect.

Cheers.

1 Like

I was trying to make a more accurate top view of this building than just this but was getting a headache from all the weird angles made at the corners even with all the close up images from Alemel, 5B, and others.

It’s clear that these are just decorative, they serve no purpose just like the aforementioned example at 35 Hudson Yards, and that’s ok because not everything needs to serve a purpose. It serves it’s purpose in the architecture.

I am assuming with this that the top tiers mullions will return back to rectangles from their angles. They follow no distinct pattern as it relates to the strange overall form of the building in plan, they just “rotate” or skew the same direction on each tier/setback.

On another note, I keep forgetting that there is still protective blue wrap on the glass, so it won’t look blue, the actual color is visible in some images though where the film has been removed. And, I keep forgetting that this one is residential

8 Likes

14 Likes

^^ Loving the mish mash of architecture! Great photos!

2 Likes

Thanks street. 10 years from now, 4th Ave will be totally unrecognizable.

2 Likes

I can’t wait for the PC Richards building to be redeveloped

3 Likes

I can’t help but wonder what the downtown Brooklyn skyline would have developed into if Brooklyn had remained a separate city. It now is beginning to look like a city in and of itself.

2 Likes