NEW YORK | 80-100 Flatbush Avenue (Alloy Block) | 482 FT + 840 FT | 40 + 74 FLOORS

One Hanson remembers when it was king of Brooklyn -

1 Like

Crane jump this evening

13 Likes

Credit: Construction Update: 505 State Street — FIELD CONDITION

13 Likes

Per Alloy Block's 100 Flatbush Avenue Continues Ascent in Downtown Brooklyn - New York YIMBY

9 Likes

Great photo set posted above by Mackensen.

Those fins or ‘louvers’ on the facade are made of hollow sheet metal panels; as on can see from the photo. They look like solid stone slabs to my eye when viewed from the outside: very smart, cost effective facade detail.

This is a quality facade; this project has got both brains & beauty. :star_struck:

They look great, solid, substantial - but light weight for construction efficiency.

3 Likes

See, not all aluminum extruded panels are cheap or only used in low cost buildings. Aluminum is widely used because it is durable and lightweight, not because it is cheap.

1 Like

Those hollow metal panels are ‘cheaper’ than solid stone. The lower cost of both labor & material results in a big net savings: so it is a smart choice.

The term ‘cost less’ or ‘cheaper’ is the accurate term I should be using in this context.

So yes, to your point - these hollow metal panels are not “cheap” in terms of low cost/quality.

But generally, aluminum panels are not only used in low budget/visually cheap projects as you gestured towards in the 15 Beekman St thread. That’s more what I was getting at. I also use aluminum extruded very narrowly in this case because only mullions are generally extruded aluminum, not actual panels which are just shaped/bent into form.

As it pertains to stone (you don’t have to add solid), stone/brick facades aren’t “solid” as they were back in the day when the entire thickness of the building was solid to bear the weight of the building (IE. Monadnock Building, etc) most stone facades are indeed hollowed out if they are part of a large and even small projection on a facade. Otherwise, stone cladding is as thin as 1-2 inches now just like a countertop . And brick of course is just a veneer now, it’s not a physical building material anymore.

1 Like

One thing that is interesting to me is the way stone and masonry veneer facades are now being designed with much of the same variation and flair as the solid versions that were built a century and more ago. I get pleasure out of putting images of some of Stern’s recent buildings next to those of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century that went up in Chicago and later many other cities. Stern is mimicking the older style in new ways that attract the eye with equal intensity.

3 Likes

Selvon.nef

13 Likes

sorry these are pretty bland

13 Likes

Aluminum is going to be a heck of a lot more expensive if they keep shutting these smelting plants down. I think I read that the percentage of plants that come back online after getting mothballed is less than 50%.

17 Likes

This one went fast. Shame the building couldn’t have been taller though. Can’t wait for phase 2. 80 Flat compliments TBT so much (at least what I can tell from the renders)

3 Likes

80 Flatbush will make 100 Flatbush look like a small toy. It will be nearly DOUBLE the height, and somewhat cylindrical-like. Here’s some renderings of 80 Flatbush, just to refresh the thread with what Phase 2 would be. The name of this thread would be more fitting as 80-100 Flatbush.:

11 Likes

Any idea when phase 2 begins?

1 Like

The second phase, which will comprise a 69-story residential, office, and retail tower, also designed by Alloy that will contain the affordable units, as well as the rehabilitation of the existing 362 Schermerhorn buildings, is expected to be completed by 2026.

Via the Bkylner @tjr101

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmPzLiHO9qZ/

9 Likes

Foggy

14 Likes

I didn’t realize this has already gotten to it’s last setback, it’s practically almost topped out. Have you been able to discern if the wide mullions have changed pattern again?

1 Like