NEW YORK | 7 West 57th St | 269 FT | 19 FLOORS

I guess the penthouse will be advertised as having central park views. I wonder why Solow didn’t transfer the rights across the street though

Yesterday

5 Likes

as @robertwalpole would say, So Low!

3 Likes

Work On Sheldon Solow’s 7 West 57th Street Progresses Along Billionaires Row, In Midtown

The site of 7 West 57th Street sits directly adjacent to the SOM-designed Solow Building, aka 9 West 57th Street. Construction on the 19-story reinforced concrete structure has now topped-out, and glass panels on the main southern elevation are nearing completion. The 237-foot-tall tower is being designed by Hill West Architects and developed by Sheldon Solow, the chairman of Solow Realty & Development Group. 7 West 57th Street is located between Fifth and Sixth Avenue along Billionaire’s Row. Upper units will clear the roof heights of the surrounding urbanity, and will obtain north-facing views of Central Park.

32,099 square feet of residential space will be divided among 16 full-floor condominium units, averaging just over 2,000 square feet each. 4,100 square feet of retail space is going to sit on the first two stories. A mechanical floor on the third level is going to divide the homes and commercial section. It will be visually indicated by the exterior use of metal grills, nudged between the main curtain wall of floor-to-ceiling glass.

There is a setback on the twelfth floor that pushes the rest of the building away from the sidewalk. The 17th floor to the 19th floor have inward-sloping glass panels that push the structure’s massing slightly further to the north. The roof parapet has a large and tall mechanical unit that shapes the upper appearance of 7 West 57th Street. The rendering makes it look like it has an envelope of metal panels, like those also seen on the third story.

5 Likes

earlier today

6 Likes

hopefully whatever Solow builds across the street will not be as boring/generic looking

3 Likes

The Taliban-style destruction across the street is SoLow.

2 Likes

7 Likes

So Low!

Wan Hung Lo?

2 Likes

7 Likes
3 Likes

What do you say: is it an A? Sometimes there is a thin line between what is a work of architecture and Architecture with a capital A. This is a fine looking building, a fine work of architecture: but it is not quite a work of Architecture with a Capital A.

The interiors, the detailing of the finishes, the floor plans, windows etc; all look very well done. There is something exceptional about this new condo; but all that’s special is mostly on the inside. :wink:

I agree. It is a nice building. But the exterior is not an A. Though I appreciate its move away from all glass to a more traditional NYC material, the exterior is somewhat bland and boring. There are few motifs that give it much interest. It’s good but not great. The interiors do look nice. The lighting and soffits break up the boxy look of many NYC apartment buildings. They were very useful to us when we redid our own place to break apart the rectangular appearance of a 1970s building unit. So, all in all, very nice, but not an A.

1 Like
3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes