NEW YORK | 644 East 14th St | 234 FT | 34 FLOORS

Permits Filed: 644 East 14th Street

BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON APRIL 29TH 2014 AT 6:30 AM

644 East 14th Street – image via Google Maps

The first DOB filings are up for a new development at 644 East 14th Street, which will be thoroughly mixed-use; the site’s developer is Simon Dushinsky of The Rabsky Group, and the project’s architect of record is Karl Fischer. The New York Observer reported on the lot’s availability last June, when it was marketed by Avison Young; ACRIS reveals the property traded hands in February.

Permits indicate that 644 East 14th Street will total 61,789 square feet, including 8,578 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor. The remainder of the first five stories will host a ‘community facility,’ which will span 18,937 square feet, and apartments will sit above; the structure will stand 15 stories tall, with 34,274 square feet of residential space divided between 50 units. At only 120 feet to its roof, ceilings heights will apparently be crypt-like.

Previous filings for a commercial building are evidently moribund, as that project was to stand eleven stories tall, with a similar total square footage. The shift to mixed-use will likely be more beneficial to the neighborhood, which is peripheral at best; 644 East 14th Street borders Avenue C, adjacent to the power plant that exploded during Hurricane Sandy, which resulted in the loss of power across Lower Manhattan.

644 East 14th Street highlighted at center, flood map by The New York Times

Given the site’s elevation, plans for the future 644 East 14th Street must account for the potential of major flooding; The New York Times flood map indicates that the lot was submerged under 3 to 6 feet of water.

No completion date for the development has been announced.

1 Like

The site was recently sold. There has been no progress.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’m pleased when crap is redeveloped.

2 Likes
1 Like

This one is stalled, unfortunately.

1 Like

As a Stuy Town resident I would like to see this site developed; this corner has been an eyesore for at least 20 years. However the blocks South of 14th Street and Ave C aren’t particularly desirable and with the area being so badly affected by Sandy I should’ve foreseen the delays getting this one out of the ground.

3 Likes
2 Likes

6 Likes

4 Likes

That looks great.

1 Like

new render

source 14+C

5 Likes
2 Likes

5 Likes

The apartment building next door (642 East 14th Street) was evacuated a month ago after it was found to be destabilized due to construction of this new tower.

I’m not surprised. I live blocks away and this site has always been waterlogged; close to the river and poor drainage. Lawsuits incoming.