NEW YORK | Lyra - 555 W. 38th St. | 590 FT | 51 FLOORS

Rockrose has filed plans for a Hudson Yards rental tower

Rockrose Development has filed plans to build the first part of its long-imagined, 1.6 million-square-foot development in Hudson Yards.

Plans filed with the city on Thursday call for a 600-unit residential tower at 551 West 38th Street, according to Rockrose president Justin Elghanayan.

Designed by Rafael Pelli of Pelli Clarke Pelli, the 51-story rental tower is located between 10th and 11th Avenues and will total 400,000 square feet. Phase two of Rockrose’s master plan will consist of a 1.2 million-square-foot office tower that’s still in the “early stage of design,” Elghanayan said.

At 551 West 38th, the developer is planning 16,000 square feet of amenities, including a fitness center on the 30th floor as well as a roof deck, game room, golf simulator and squash court. Rather than build a “chunky” rectangular structure, the building was designed to appear as if it has two towers — or “trunks of a tree that have split,” Pelli said. (The taller portion is 590 feet while the shorter part is 330 feet.)

Different glass and metal facades will be used to wrap the sides of the building to give it additional texture, the architect added.

=======================

TRD

5 Likes

Very nice!!!

1 Like

Good choice of architect.

1 Like

I would be OK if they cloned Philly’s FMC Tower at Cira Centre South for this. NYC needs less boxes, and PCP can do better than boxes. This is basically the same concept:

3 Likes

This tower has a great presence at night with its lighting scheme. Moreso than Comcast 2.

1 Like
1 Like

Hopefully we’ll get a better design.

1 Like

moving quickly here. Soil testing + excavators on site.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1JbcF9nFc2/?hl=en

7 Likes

They were digging today.

We can move to under construction I think.

8 Likes

Moved

1 Like

I’d like to see this concrete jungle in front of Javits developed into a park. Also, the lanes of traffic on 10th and 11th should be reduced, and wide, green sidewalks should replace them. NY needs to acknowledge that Robert Moses is dead.

6 Likes

what will be the address for the office tower? I thought that was going to be 555 w 38th. I guess I was wrong.

1 Like

Agreed. I wish they would do the same to park ave and bring back the walkable medium that was there before the extra lanes were added.

3 Likes

This morning

8 Likes

Today. Down to bedrock and starting some foundation and rebar work.

9 Likes

Rockrose lands $255M in financing for Hudson Yards project

Rockrose Development appears to have the money it needs to construct a long-awaited rental tower across from the Jacob Javits Center in Hudson Yards.

According to city records, the developer received a $255 million construction financing package from Wells Fargo for 555 West 38th Street, the first phase of a two-building project set between 10th and 11th avenues in Hudson Yards.

The firm, led by Henry Elghanayan and son Justin Elghanayan, began assembling the West Side site nearly 20 years ago. The plot’s zoning allowed for a building spanning 500,000 square feet as-of-right, but in 2012 the developer struck a deal to pay into funds to finance public infrastructure improvements in exchange for additional square footage. The master plan will total 1.6 million square feet.

In 2018, Rockrose filed plans to build the first part of the development, including a 600-unit residential tower at the West 38th Street site. The 400,000-square foot, 51-story tower would be designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects. The second phase of the development would include a 1.2 million-square-foot office tower. Plans for an office tower have not yet been submitted.

==================

TRD

6 Likes

Today

7 Likes

10 Likes

Yesterday

8 Likes

Today

12 Likes