NEW YORK | The Cortland (555 W 22nd St) | 250 FT | 26 FLOORS

the curtain of death is rising

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/features/future-nyc/related-companies-begins-demolition-555-west-23rd/16622

6 Likes

Not sure why I’m lukewarm on this project.

1 Like

I think everything is demo’d now.
There is a crappy abandoned boarded up tenement on the corner of 22nd st that Related must not own? Otherwise they surely would have torn it down with most of the old uhaul site.

They took the uhaul down faster than expected!

2 Likes

https://www.yimbynews.com/2017/03/permits-filed-559-west-22nd-street-west-chelsea.html

3 Likes

This building is stunning! Great colors.

My number one target in this area is this crappy Mini Storage building on the High Line. It’s such an eyesore, and they insist on hanging that tacky banner over the building. It’s a huge space too.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiNWPn1ndaj/?taken-at=3001573

3 Likes

https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/a507be84588f7633a470359df45354c1/5BB12C89/t51.2885-15/e35/31493732_223039585149355_5913778944179437568_n.jpg

7 Likes

it’s the same design as the model above, but it looks like the rendering posted on-site lacks detail. Keep in mind the earlier renderings were EB-5 distributed so they should be presumed inaccurate.

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/features/future-nyc/new-design-related-companies039-west-chelsea-condo-555-west-22nd-street/20842

8 Likes

Really interesting. It looks like it’ll be cast stone or limestone. It looks better than both the model and the EB-5 promo material. RAMSA is killing the midrise and lowrise design game.

If you look at the crown portion they’re definitely going after the success of 70 Vestry.

4 Likes

Not too much progress. From today

4 Likes

We are going to see this building go vertical some time soon: much more excavation and foundation work has been completed since the photos by JC Heights have been taken. I have several photos taken this week, which I will post as soon as a get to my desktop tomorrow evening. This building is a classic beauty set in stone; such a delight to see everything new and upscale in architecture is not an ‘all glass’ facade.

2 Likes

I think it may be 25-26 floors now?

1 Like

No pun intended; but the number of floors, and all other design related details need be ‘set in stone’ at the late stage of the process. I have a photo of the work-in-progress billboard on the construction fence: I will count the floors on that rendering and assume that is the final Architectural Design. BTW, I am discovering that there are plenty former WNY members on this forum, under different names however, so it feels good to be getting back in contact with some old friends/acquaintances. I was also posting under the tag INFOSHARE for those who remember me from the Wired New York forum.

1 Like

Who else from WNY is here besides us?

1 Like

Tectonic, You, Tone99 and one other that I can’t remember - I bet there are more. NYGUY, Zippy,Stern, were a few regulars that may be lurking here.

1 Like

I think the rendering on the construction barrier has the final floor count: about 23. There is still plenty of foundation work being done; which involves what looks like underground structural steel beams.

6 Likes

Today.

5 Likes

Moved to u/c.

Love the momentum of developments reaching u/c status. :beers:

2 Likes

About 3 weeks ago: they are about 40 feet deeper by now…

2 Likes

The foundation work is progressing, but not yet a grade level. I spend a good amount of time peering through construction site barter fences looking at foundation work; and this is one of the most complex excavation, footings, fittings, drillings, concrete pours I have seen in a long time. Recently crew played down a white sheeting of some sort over every square inch of the first level of the foundation: the sheeting seemed to be some sort of waterproof membrane that was actually glued down to the concrete slabs/rebar below. The are now covering up all that with yet another layer of concrete/rebar. Massive amount of man-hours and material going into this even before the reach street level: a marvel to behold.

7 Likes

Related’s Robert A.M. Stern-Designed 555 West 22nd Street Making Quick Headway In West Chelsea

Construction on the foundations of 555 West 22nd Street in Chelsea are moving quickly. The development is being designed by Robert A. M. Stern Architects while SLCE Architects is serving as the architect of record. Related is the developer of the Hudson River-facing project. It is located along the corner of West Street and West 22nd Street and will rival the height of Norman Foster’s adjacent residential tower to the south at 555 West 21st Street. 39 units are set to be created, averaging around 2,245 square feet apiece.

A new photo shows a large amount of rebar waiting for the concrete pours to form the slabs and columns of the cellar levels. The foundation walls on the easternmost part of the perimeter are finished while the rest of the walls are continuing and awaiting their final form. The first pieces of the construction crane are already on site and in position. It sits towards the central interior section of the property. Several areas of the foundation slabs are also finished while excavation appears to be mostly completed. Work on the building should reach street level sometime this summer and most likely rise several stories by the end of 2019.

This will be Robert A.M. Stern’s first residential project in Chelsea and it is set to stand 26 stories tall. The development will come with amenities such as a lounge room, an event room, a game center, a business center, a fitness center, a basement pool with lockers, bicycle storage, and a dog spa. The views of the Hudson River and uninterrupted sunsets are a prime feature for a number of apartment units, some with private outdoor terraces on the western elevation.

A completion date for 555 West 22nd Street is expected to be sometime next year.

=============

NYY

2 Likes