NEW YORK | The Cortland (555 W 22nd St) | 250 FT | 26 FLOORS

Tectonic

10 Likes

Credit: City Realty

10 Likes

The diagram from the article above is really interesting. Should be a great looking complex:

7 Likes

Today

10 Likes

Good posts, saves me the effort lol.

1 Like

Did you see the dummy construction worker standing under the scaffolding on the corner of the block: creepy looking. Take a look at the lower right corner of the photo; he is tied to the pole supporting the street scaffolding. Not sure who put it there, but it is there today.

And here a closer, and creepier look…

2 Likes

local 666

3 Likes

Ha ha good one!

Imagine walking home late at night under that scaffolding, turning the corner and seeing this: could give someone a heart attack. That thing looks very lifelike…

Any ETA to when this will be complete or t/o?

8 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/tectonicphoto

10 Likes

Today

12 Likes

Might be almost topped out.

11 Likes

15 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B84vQkbgkWU/?igshid=1gshq4tupwvz7

10 Likes

We have reached a mile-STONE. The decorative stone work on the facade is now being attached to the concrete superstructure: traditional brickwork and limestone slabs. I think the stone slabs are note actually quarried natural stone; but most likely prefabricated composite made from molds. I saw them mounted on the trucks and they look like natural stone; massive, solid, heavy pieces - whatever the material. I see so much more material and labor and craftsmanship goes into this type of building; as opposed to simply attaching framed glass panels to the entire facade. The end result is so much more substantial looking from the outside; and I would imaging it also makes for a interior apartment that have a more ‘enclosed’ feel for the occupants. This is all coming together nicely and will be quite the ‘stand-out’ beauty on those far west blocks along 22nd/23rd street near the Hudson River. I really think the developer ought to pay me for such great free publicity: but good work deserves praise - so enjoy.

I think there are cast from mainly concrete: not sure.

11 Likes

Precast is a great material. I’ve seen it work in some remarkable buildings. In addition to ease of installation without a need for scaffiolding, it can be cast into virtually any shape, made into an array of color tones with dyes, and extended into the interior if desired. Here’s the Georgetown Law Center Library I helped plan by Hartman & Cox. Precast was also used on parts of the interior which is gorgeous.

5 Likes

That alternating brick and cast stone banding looks like London.

2 Likes

Yes, basically - this is doing ‘historical reproduction’ of architectural styles that were commonly done prior to the rise modernist architectural styles. I find these ‘traditional’ architectural design are always quite attractive; it pleases just about everyone - as apposed modernist designs that often get more criticism from the public. They only major variation from those classically oriented Architectural designers, Rosario Candela comes to mind, is the huge windows: if you look up his work, you will see many of his residential buildings look quite similar to this - but all with much smaller ‘punch’ windows. The other difference is the use of ‘precast’ stone slabs that look similar to natural quarried stone that would have been used in the past. Then of course there is the traditional looking brick work we see here, that are actually ‘brick panels’ that are quite different from the individually placed bricks/mortar done entirely by hand on site: that type of hand laid brick work is rarely done these days.

5 Likes