NEW YORK | 52-03 + 52-41 Center Blvd (Hunter's Point South Phase 2) | 587 FT + 475 FT | 56 + 46 FLOORS

Continuing the discussion from NEW YORK | Hunter’s Point South Phase 1 | FT | 37 + 32 FLOORS:

TF Cornerstone To Develop Phase 2 Of Hunter’s Point South

Thursday, December 5, 2013, by Jessica Dailey

TF Cornerstone, a developer already very familiar with Long Island City, has been selected to develop more than 1,000 new residential units for the colossal Hunter’s Point South complex on the waterfront. The first phase, designed by SHoP Architects and developed by Related, is currently under construction, and the city released an RFP for this second phase in May. This part of the megaproject will create 1,193 apartments, with 796 units being affordable affordable to moderate- and middle-income families. One hundred of those apartments will be reserved for low-income seniors. The rest of the units will be market rate.

ODA designed the two new towers with “stepped terraces that echo the Art Deco skyscrapers of Manhattan.” They have a variety of sustainable features, including two “urban farming terraces” and grey-water recycling for irrigation. Other amenities include a gym, rooftop garden, and a children’s play room, plus there will be a senior recreation center and 10,000-square-feet of community space. Units will range from studios to three-bedrooms, and a press release sent out by the Department of Housing Preservation and Development says there will be “20,000-gross-square-feet of new commercial space with preliminary plans for a pre-kindergarten, a medical facility, a rock climbing gym, and new restaurants.” All mechanicals are on the second floor and the ground floor spaces will be flood-proofed.

Four parcels of Hunter’s Point South still remain undeveloped, so they will be bid out under the next administration.

UPDATE: A previous version of this article stated that SLCE Architects designed the project, which is incorrect. ODA is the designer, while SLCE is the architect of record. Curbed regrets the error.

3 Likes

Pic by me

1 Like

Thats a big construction site.

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/01_kensinger_hunters_point_DSC_1109.jpg
Credit: CBNY

2 Likes

Massive Queens apartment project adds elementary school as rail tunnel forces redesign

A Manhattan-based developer is reconfiguring its planned 1,197-unit Hunters Point South apartment complex because of the complex engineering involved in accommodating an Amtrak tunnel and power lines that run under the city-owned project site, Crain’s has learned. As part of the new design, developer TF Cornerstone will include a 600-seat school for the rapidly growing neighborhood on the Queens waterfront.

“The plan changed, and it needed to change based on what they discovered underneath the site,” said City Council Majority Leader Jimmy Van Bramer, who represents the area and pushed for the elementary seats. “But their delay is to the benefit of the 600 kids who will be able to go to that school.”

Van Bramer said the city last week sent TF Cornerstone a letter confirming its intent to build the school.

In 2013, the Bloomberg administration selected the developer and nonprofit partner Selfhelp to build an ODA Architects-designed residential project, including 700 affordable apartments, and 100 more reserved for seniors on part of the Queens peninsula dubbed Hunters Point South.

Nearly two and a half years later, though, blueprints have yet to be finalized. Amtrak and the New York Power Authority must sign off on the plans. Amtrak has been negotiating with TF Cornerstone since March 2015 to ensure construction doesn’t damage the rail tunnel.

It is not clear what aspect of the underground infrastructure took the developers by surprise, given that plans for the peninsula released in 2008 indicated whoever controlled the site would have to build around multiple easements.

TF Cornerstone referred questions about the project to the city. A spokesman for City Hall said the city is in “productive discussions” about adding a school to the site, but did not confirm that a letter of intent had been sent.

Under the original configuration, TF Cornerstone had looked at erecting an education or cultural center in a separate building on the site. But when the firm had to redraw its plans, Van Bramer and other community advocates pushed for a school to accommodate an influx of families as construction proliferates. Hunters Point South alone is set to bring 5,000 new apartments to the Long Island City waterfront, which is served by just one elementary school that is already at capacity, Van Bramer said. The school in the TF Cornerstone building will be paid for with funds announced in Mayor Bill de Blasio’s preliminary budget earlier this year

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/CN/20160503/REAL_ESTATE/160509994/AR/0/Hunters-Point-South.jpg

4 Likes

OMG this is crazy! I had no idea this was going on! With construction projects on this scale or just lone skyscraper projects popping up all around the New York area, not only in manhattan, I feel like New York is slowly turning into cities like Hong Kong or tokyo with high rise covering huge amounts of the city. When this is going to be finished it is going to create a whole new node in the NYC landscape!

2 Likes

I hope the new developers will retain ODA’s design.

Crain’s: City to seek developer for two big parcels along the Long Island City waterfront

2 Likes

2/4

Most of these shots are for the very southern tip of hunters point. These shots dont include the site above with the 2 towers which is still on hold. The rest of the point has been undergoing a ton of earth moving over the last few weeks.

7 Likes

JC,

You’ve been covering a lot of ground!!!

2 Likes
3 Likes

edit: wrong thread

4 Likes

Factories and luxury apartments in the same building?

1 Like

I don’t actually think that this particular project in the link is HPS phase 2, I think this is a different project entirely.

2 Likes

you are correct, this new project is along 44th drive. They are similar though which caused my confusion, same developer, 2 towers, 1000+ units and a school.

1 Like

Hunters Point South development moves forward after years of delays

5 Likes

I really preferred the old design, but understand it can’t work with the site. I’m just happy it’s finally being built

1 Like

the old design was certainly better on the eyes, but this new concept is taller and has more open space, which is critical for a thriving waterfront community and good for the city as a whole.

1 Like

7 Likes

Yes I shall great miss the tiers and terraces of the old design and I am saddened to not see their like in the city. In this instance I am not overly upset because the mitigating circumstances are really outside of the control of the development team.

1 Like

Sucks. We always somehow end up with the same old, one way or another.

1 Like

Do we know the height of the tallest tower?
It looks like its over 500 feet.
Exciting

1 Like