NEW YORK | 50 West 66th St | 775 FT | 70 FLOORS

Snohetta released new images of their new project. Quite beautiful. Is there a thread for this already under a different name?

Images from Snohetta’s website: 50 West 66th Street - Snøhetta

17 Likes

This is a beautiful building, but I would have preferred a Stern in that location.

1 Like

You took the words right out of my mouth. It only looks great in the context of Lefrak and Milstein clunkers. But once 15CPW is in the picture, it’s obvious that a complementary Stern building would have taken the skyline to a much higher level.

I like it!

2 Likes

Well don’t forget that there are already 3 Stern buildings facing the Park among the limestone facades also facing the Park. The context is the UWS and there’s plenty of glass and stone. It’s also nice to see a building that tapers to a point. Maybe not classically like Stern, but a modern interpretation. And the way the building setbacks is so great. It’s definitely a different and welcome addition! This is Snohetta after all!

1 Like

Ooooooooh I like this. I would’ve loved a Stern but I almost actually prefer this. I like the mix in between modernity and classical/art deco.
Also there arent enough tastefully designed modern buildings in the upper west side.
I approve
:+1:

2 Likes

Extell is the developer.

775 feet.

Wow.

1 Like

good!!
there’s so much trash on that side of the park on Broadway, and any development will stand out in a big way

good to see Extell isn’t slowing down.

if a moderator could please merge these threads? NEW YORK | 36 W 66th St | 292 FT | 25 FLOORS - #3

2 Likes

Check it out full size (great render of CPT too):

[url]https://www.6sqft.com/renderings-of-snohettas-upper-west-side-tower-reveal-a-gleaming-bronze-facade/[/url]

12 Likes

Be advised- the real deal, as per usual, inaccurately reported without doing some very basic research. Above article mentions that the building’s height increase was due to an air rights transaction with the Jewish Guild for the Blind, directly behind the site on 65th Street. However, Extell actually bought that property (15 West 65th) outright and full demolition was filed in June. This will be a through-block building with the synagogue facing 65th.

7 Likes

the intial work done as of october

12 Likes

They are starting to wrap the building on 65th to come down.

7 Likes

Did Extell acquire any other buildings on 65th? Those horrible tenements with the fire escapes (located next to the eyesore coming down) are heinous.

a rendering with some more context from extell’s website

13 Likes

10 Likes

Looks like they didnt acquire the building you are asking about. I think it is just the old synagogue that will come down.

9 Likes

Only in NY: $50m condos next to a filthy tenement.

1 Like

11 Likes

Today. Lots of demo on w 65th.

9 Likes