NEW YORK | 418 11th Avenue | ? FT | ? FLOORS

I appreciate it more as a feat of engineering rather than its’ aesthetic characteristics; although it is unique in shape. I don’t know though, is this in the works or simply fantasy? I haven’t done my research on this one.

Air rights require more money and can take a decade or more to acquire if you really want to go high, unless a rezoning happens. (and aren’t unlimited either). A special permit can be shot down. Though it’s true that both are possible, but something being possible and something being feasible are 2 very different things.

We know “something” is happening here. This is just a proposal, it may or it may not. There are other proposals in the running but they have decided not to share.

1 Like

Hard but not impossible. It is inevitable for New York City to build taller. Imagine in 1921 what people considered possible. Then they built the magnificent Empire State Building ten years later.

2 Likes

Yes I know. And I can’t wait for that day. Hopefully it isn’t just some tower that’s like 1,777 feet tall or something. I’d prefer it to at least break the 1,800s.

1 Like

Add 200 feet and make it 1863. That was a very affirming year for African Americans.

2 Likes

Add 145 feet to make it 2,008 feet. The year of Obama.

5 Likes

Just wanna let you know the total height of One WTC is 1,792 feet including the lightning rod. The 1,776 foot height is the beacon

2 Likes

Oh yeah, forgot.

I agree it is inevitable; however I do not take issue with these recent projects keeping below One WTC intentionally. Frankly none of these buildings have the status to deserve taking the crown away yet. An apartment building for foreign billionaires does not deserve the prize, nor does any random soulless office tower. The tallest building in the city must have a special significance and relatability to the general public, such as the Empire State Building did, or the original Twins. A level of class and civic stateliness that I don’t believe belongs anywhere in the far west side development area. I’d like to see a commercial project in the plaza district be the tallest tower for the city. The Hyatt/commodore site would be eligible in my view.

1 Like

Sorry for being off-topic here:

From my point of view, I’d say the only reasons why One WTC takes the crown of New York is because of its long spire, and also because of the “1,776 ft” height. If it had an antenna like the one from the original North Tower then I guess things would go differently.

1 Like

Breaking the 1776 ft height would be so easy for a developer if they wanted to do it. There is no height limit in Manhattan.

This is my dream for New York— a 2000 ft tower in Herald Square built in Art Deco style (the 1990s sky needle from Chicago)

4 Likes

If they only added 30 feet, it could’ve broken CN Tower’s pinnacle height for the tallest in North America… such a lack of vision for the entire complex.

This tower “affirms” that NY is the best city in the US by far!

2 Likes

The US?

NY is the best city in the known galaxy!

Can you imagine NY 20 years from now?

4 Likes

With China’s new supertall ban (no buildings allowed over 820 feet tall), this building may be the tallest new building in the world over the next decade.

2 Likes

There are a few proposals I think which will beat it (Like Oblisco Capitale and Lakhta Center II) but it should still be up there.

I hadn’t heard of this new rule, but it doesn’t surprise me because China’s property market is a toxic disaster.

3 Likes

"In a joint statement issued on Tuesday, the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural development and the Ministry of Emergency Management said cities with populations of less than three million people will be restricted from building skyscrapers taller than 150 metres (492 ft).

Those with populations larger than that will be restricted from buildings taller than 250 metres."

2 Likes

China at the moment is like Germany in 1936. I’m waiting for them to invade Taiwan.

2 Likes