NEW YORK | 418 11th Avenue | ? FT | ? FLOORS

I don’t think it’s dead completely, it was paused because there wasn’t any affordable housing in it. Maybe if the proposals came back it’ll have the requirement this time.

https://esd.ny.gov/esd-media-center/press-releases/statement-esd-acting-commissioner-president-ceo-designate-hope-knight-regarding-rescinding-rfp-javits-site-k

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2021/12/22/new-york-state-rescinds-rfp-for-site-k-javits.html

Maybe they could build twin towers with one having commercial and the other affordable housing.

1 Like

If/when the proposals come back, I hope the height will be still kept as it is or higher.

Embarrassing. Hochul is in way over her head. RE has a lot of power in this city. Hopefully they rip her apart.

1 Like

Ironic how she supports the Penn Station development that included OFFICE towers, yet had to pausse/cancel this development because there was no affordable housing.

Love when they talk about the “local community” of Hudson yards. These are industrial sites many blocks away in all directions from any semblance of a community. This tower wasn’t going to rise for a while anyway but this is an absurd decision coming out of the blue. I think Shane’s explanation is the best, she needs some sort of grift before it comes back into play

Because she wants her cut of the action.

2 Likes

Exactly. She needs the perception of some sort of community here in order to curry favor and disarm opposition with surrounding, more residential neighborhoods with actual communities. As if reality even underpins it, which it doesn’t. My bet is they come back with a significant reduction in height, perhaps a 500-foot cut. They sell the remaining air rights to someone across the street who’s affilliated with Hochul and she gets a clandestine consulting fee.

Unfortunately, that might be the possibility. IIRC the architects mentioned that they scale the tower to 1663ft for a reason, although I may be wrong.

But either way, I hope the proposal(s) keep the height and doesn’t pull a “tower Verre height cut”, while still having affordable housing

This neighborhood is becoming a community. There is population density on all three sides (West Chelsea/HY, Garment District, and Hells Kitchen). With each of these new projects the neighborhoods are getting stitched together.

Something else will go up in this location. Because it’s one of the few city owned lots left in Manhattan, she has to make a gesture towards affordable housing.

Mr Peebles is pissed…his catch phrase was - “We’ll try again next week.”

Don Peebles, CEO The Peebles Corporation, is part of a team that includes architect Sir David Adjaye, Cheryl McKissack Daniel, president and CEO of the oldest minority/women-owned design and construction firm in the US, and Exact Capital Group, a majority Black-owned real estate development firm headquartered in New York. Steven Witkoff, founder of the Witkoff Group, is also a member of the team.

Magilla_Gorilla_E00.youtube

For those of us old enough to remember this cartoon… Mr. Peebles :star_struck:

3 Likes

Wow. Didn’t catch this news. Smh. Im sure they will redevelop it sooner than later. Especially considering the entire Penn Station overhaul project going on a few blocks over.

Sorry for a bump in this thread, but here is my recreation of the Affirmation Tower in Minecraft, although it’s more bigger and taller (584 meters)

14 Likes

I’d rather this desing … LOL

4 Likes

And if you can’t be bothered to read the article, no this does not mean it’s cancelled. Just stalled currently.
Per NYguy:
https://amsterdamnews.com/news/2022/…its-roadblock/

Affirmation Tower hits roadblock

by Cyril Josh Barker
February 24, 2022

Quote:

…… The team made its presentation to the Empire State Development Corporation last October in response to a request for proposals (RFP) with a commitment of 35% in contracts to people of color totaling more than a billion dollars. However, Craig Livingston, managing partner for Exact Capital Group, told the AmNews that the RFP was canceled.

“We heard that the RFP was pulled so that the governor could re-evaluate it in line with her priorities,” Livingston said. “And today we are still waiting for that to be clarified and articulated and for the RFP to be re-issued.”

Craig explains that when government agencies have a contract that they want to award, an RFP will be issued. Interested parties will respond to the RFP with their proposal and those proposals are evaluated by staff or members of the issuing agency. After that, there’s usually an interview of various teams and follow up questions. The project is then awarded to the group that was presenting a proposal that created the most public benefit for the citizens of the city or state.

Quote:

There are conversations about whether or not Affirmation Tower will build affordable housing in the Hudson Yards area, which the initial plans do not contain. Livingston feels it’s not appropriate for the site because it’s across the street from the Jacob Javits Center, which is one of the largest convention centers in the nation.

The team is not ruling out the possibility of adding a plan to build affordable housing for the project, however, Livingston believes that the characteristics of the Hudson Yards area makes it hard to envision.

“I think there’s some demand for affordable housing in every community in New York City across and the country, but we have to do it smartly in a way in which we can incorporate residential use appropriately,” he said.

What are the next steps? Livingston says the plan to build Affirmation Towers is far from over.

“We heard that the RFP was pulled so that the governor could re-evaluate it in line with her priorities,” Livingston said. “And today we are still waiting for that to be clarified and articulated and for the RFP to be re-issued.”
They’re just waiting.

My bet is they come out with something similar to Worldwide Plaza for that site. Like, postmodern meets 2023 con sustainability.