NEW YORK | 405 Park Avenue | FT | FL

Good point, though I still believe that the two sites in the block will be combined.

1 Like

The little building between 405 and 417 is coming down. Once again, I find it hard to believe that these sites won’t be combined. The whole block is being raised.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is definitely a full-block development. Hopefully we get a stunning supertall.

2 Likes

I had never heard of the developer, GDSNY, until I Googled them just now. They’re building a lot of nice, boutique projects. Maybe they will proceed on their own. I hope not. It would suck if a full block site isn’t built since we’re losing two beautiful buildings.

1 Like

as Robert reported in the 417 Park thread, full demolition permits were filed last year, so this is no longer a renovation but a full knockdown.

https://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=2&passjobnumber=123920365&passdocnumber=01

https://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=2&passjobnumber=123920365&passdocnumber=02

4 Likes

I’m elated to see that demo is starting.

“Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this [garbage]!”

6 Likes

“Mr. Gorbachev: Tear down this [garbage]!”

2 Likes

2 Likes

I wonder what they’re gonna build here?

3 Likes

Like YIMBY, I hope that this is combined with 417 next door. Not combining them would be a colossal mistake.

I wonder if they included a residential component above a boutique office space if they can still take advantage of the Midtown East zoning. Could you imagine how successful a 1,200’ Stern would be here?

3 Likes

This whole project does two things; it gets rid of horrendous 1980’s filler and it eliminates completely-outmoded prewar stock. Replace that with a brand-new art-deco or neoclassical tower and an actual command of amenities and you’re set.

1 Like

I highly doubt this will be art deco or neoclassical. You might get something like 270, The Brooklyn Tower, 45 Broad etc. But likely it’ll be similar to 350 Park, 175 or 1 Vandy.

Then again developers are always throwing out curveballs, who knows.

1 Like

I would reinforce my first two points about the removal of a bad 1980’s build and the riddance of prewar stock that is completely outmoded in 21st century Midtown. Those two requirements are being met with this project, and another plus is definitely getting another project with block-wide street frontage on Park Avenue.

1 Like

This is what Yimby said:

“All three parcels will likely be consolidated to allow for construction of a large skyscraper spanning between East 54th and East 55th Streets”

3 Likes

Isn’t this building like right across the street from 350 Park Ave? It would be crazy to something like a 1,200 - 1,300 fter go up here, then a 1,450 fter go up across the street, then a possible 1,566 fter go up behind that

2 Likes

It’s 3 blocks north of 350 Park Ave.

3 Likes

So close to 432 then. Still it’ll be crazy to see them all going up so close to each other. And they’re just down the ave from 270 and 175

4 Likes

Yep, 175 Park is south 5 block to 270 Park is south 4 blocks to 350 Park is south 3 blocks to 405 Park is south 2 blocks to 432 Park and then turn left and you’re on 57th St. That reads like jargon, but yes there are a number of tall tower projects fairly close to each other along Park Ave.

4 Likes

Yup lots of stuff going up in close proximity. There’s also 41 West 57th which will be right there.
Plus Midtown East still has plenty of sites that will be redeveloped, exciting times!

2 Likes

Semi-unrelated, but I found this picture of Park Ave in the 50s on eralsoto’s page. I was always under the impression that what’s there now is a reskinned version of a classical building, but apparently that’s not the case, and it’s just a shallow 50’s turd. You can see the empty lot and the lot line wall of that building next door they tore down this year.