NEW YORK | 350 Park Avenue | 1,600 FT | 70 FLOORS

Deleted

1 Like

On the topic of this building its a shame this nice townhouse has to go while vacant junk on madison sits there for eternity. Second photo edited from a Robert post.

6 Likes

It’s good to be the Financial Capital of the World!

RGarri

Exactly :clap: It isn’t that the current design is bad, but the former was a LOT more striking and different than this. The new look definitely looks more visually interesting than 432 Park, at least, so we’ll see how it adds to the growing skyline! In a city of mainly boxes and rectangles, different shapes would be welcome!

2 Likes

The very top of 477 Madison, which is 24 stories and 277’ tall, is depicted in the lower left-hand corner of the rendering of 350 Park (below). Based upon that, we’re not seeing the first 277’ (ie., the first 20 to 25 stories) of 350 Park.

Where the lowest portion of 350 is depicted is at the roof of 477 Madison, which is 277’ above the ground. Thus, we don’t see the first 277’ of the new tower.

This is the top of 477 Madison as seen on Google Earth.

https://rfr.com/properties/property/477-madison-avenue/

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/building/477-madison-avenue/11664

The latest rendering of the new 350 Park shows everything above the roof of the current 350 Park which is about 300’ tall. Clearly, there is a lot that the latest rendering doesn’t show, namely: the first 300’ of the new, iconic tower!

Why do you keep on reposting/editing this post/adding on to the post? It’s ok to double post. :+1:

I think all of us here are sensible enough to have understood before I mentioned it that the whole lower quarter of the building is not being shown in the render. :slightly_smiling_face:

Most likely looks like this. Maybe some additional massing towards the back and sides.

11 Likes

I hope that it keeps that same setback configuration.

Well like I mentioned with my massing model, its clear that the new iteration is still keeping the 4 distinct volumes stacked on top of each other, Foster didnt completely change the massing/form, just the appearance of it. So we can assume that there is just another of the volumes out of the picture (render) as I and Rgarri4 have depicted.

2 Likes

I said wth and modeled this building (atleast in a manner as I understand the depiction in the render) because it seemed fairly easy and only ended up taking me a few hours. I came to some conclusions based on the render and model,

If the way I and Rgarri4 are depicting the building with a 4th lower volume is correct, your super sleuthing with the height in comparison with 477 Madison would be incorrect @robertwalpole, height can’t be used to compare things in perspective renders/drawings in general because everything is distorted. And even if it was being used as a measurement and there is a 4th volume hidden in the render, over 400’ would be missing and not 277’. This also now brings into question the placement of the tower within it’s backdrop photo which makes it appear like it is lower than it is.

I have attached a “full size” view from the (almost) same perspective as the render.

A render of how I’m interpreting the back with emphasis on interpreting.

And just a view I liked

I don’t really know how to feel about this design now after modeling it as you get a better understanding of something when you are able to move around with it and see it from different views, even though my model is not entirely accurate (obviously). It seems almost too blocky now. Sure it’s different, though not ugly, but that’s not always a good thing. I feel like it would almost fit better in Miami, which I guess is ironic since that is where Citadel is building their new HQ’s. Idk, just my 2¢’s.

15 Likes

@TKDV Fantastic work! I think I understand your Miami-sentiment. However, I do find your model/visualization of the building much more attractive than the (official?) rendering that has been released! :+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

Nice work, TDVK. I think that this tower looks extraordinarily magnificent. It’s Aniston-good!

I am elated for this project.

What other sites on park ave are planned for super tall redevelopment? It’s this one, 270 park, I forget what else

I’m not aware of any other planned supertall proposals, this one is technically the only one.

405 and 417 Park have been razed. The two sites are presently owned by separate entities though I’d be surprised if they’re not combined. Even if they are, they’d yield a tower the size of 425 Park. That being said, there are a number of relatively low, 1950s office buildings on Park that surely will be redeveloped soon.

1 Like

Planned is the operative word.

Aside from 270 and 350, there will likely be supertalls at the following sites in time:

Colgate-Palmolive
Hotel Roosevelt
335 Madison Avenue

Then 405/417 Park will be in the 800-900 range along with 343 Madison.

There will be others. Always are.

1 Like

Not on Park but close: 650 Madison and 145 East 60th Street. Very tall buildings will rise there.

1 Like

Aside from One Vanderbilt and 270 Park, most of the recent NYC skyscrapers have not been driven by high finance.

That will change.

I greatly suspect Blackstone and Citadel will take 175 Park and 350 Park.

Goldman, Citigroup, and Morgan Stanley will follow, in time.

2 Likes

These two pieces of junk between 54th and 55th will come down eventually.

1 Like