NEW YORK | 305 West 48th St | 303 FT | 27 FLOORS

If they refrained from putting that crazy red, yellow, and orange stuff on the corner, this would not be bad at all.

Hopefully, the excrement on the corner will be redeveloped. 8th Ave needs A LOT of work.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Has that crazy red/yellow pattern on the east facade been eliminated or will it be applied over the current gray? I assume (and hope) the former. I wonder if they bought the air rights to the adjacent pieces of trash on 8th. I hope not since that would me that that filthy garbage will never be redeveloped.

3 Likes
3 Likes

At least it isn’t anything like any of the renders. The brick looks high quality and somehow made to look incredibly old. Not bad for a Kaufman.

6 Likes

This turned out way better than expected. Hopefully, the filthy, disgusting POS on the corner will come down, along with the PoS on the corner.

2 Likes

This one is shockingly good for a Kaufman building. What has come over him?

1 Like

Maybe McSam was the impetus for the crazy designs.

Kaufman also did the nice building on 14th and 8th.

Many of those ugly old dumps were never even meant to be permanent structures, just placeholder/“taxpayer” buildings or quickly-built tenements. The builders probably expected them to be torn down in a few decades, not still standing a century later. Time to clear out the trash.

I hate those NIMBY opinion pieces that come out now and then about how NYC is losing its “gritty character” or whatever. The old warehouses and tenements that these types want to preserve are usually cheaply-built ratholes, not “classic NYC history”.

Hopefully the next generation will clear out today’s junk (like the McSam hotels.)

2 Likes

I think that this turned out pretty well. As this photo from Yimby depicts though, a lot of garbage on 8th should come down ASAP.

3 Likes