NEW YORK | 270 Park Ave | 1,425 FT | 70 FLOORS

This building is a true rarity these days. A building undertaken by and for the sole use of one private company. They are under no obligation to do a public reveal or do anything to attract unnecessary publicity. Eventually they will need a very basic render on site.

The last of this type that I can recall was the Goldman Sachs building.

6 Likes

Interesting that instead of covering the 47th street side of the smaller part of the building they did the scaffolding on Park Avenue. I thought they would quickly wrap it up and start the demolition so they would have more space when comes to the big guy as someone suggested earlier.

1 Like

Looking at the massing model, this looks like a modern Rockefeller Center kind of

10 Likes

Not to mention 2 WTC!

4 Likes

Was actually thinking that too, I only wrote proposed projects

1 Like

lots of demolition workers on sight (none in pics haha)

13 Likes

^^ Thanks for the regular update!

1 Like

City Council gives green light for JMorgan’s new headquarters in Midtown East :smile:

The City Council approved the massive new headquarters for JPMorgan on Wednesday, the first project to take advantage of New York’s Midtown East rezoning.

The Council approved the rezoning in August 2017, clearing the way for 6.5 million square feet of new office space to go up across more than 70 blocks in the neighborhood.

JPMorgan then announced in February 2018 that it would stay and rebuild its global headquarters in Midtown. The new headquarters will stand 1,400 feet and 70 stories tall, and it will allow the company to consolidate employees who are currently working out of multiple different locations.

The bank has already started demolition work on the existing 52-story building, and it expects to start construction on the new building in 2021. The new headquarters will include 10,000 square feet of public open space along the base of the tower, which the bank increased from the previously planned 7,000 square feet following pushback from the community.

12 Likes

We have a month when the actual building will start. January 2021. Next two years should see demo occur. Which is quite fast for such a structure. Seems like a target range for 2023 completion.

= = = = =

“JPMorgan’s plans for 270 Park Avenue exceed the vision for East Midtown Rezoning,” said Council Member Keith Powers, who represents the area. “This development sets a precedent for what is possible for Midtown.”

Despite preservationists and architecture lovers’ vocal opposition, the current, 1.3-million-square-foot high-rise at 270 Park will be painstakingly dismantled by hand in the world’s largest voluntary demolition. The new Chase headquarters is expected to span 2.5 million square feet and generate 6,000 union construction jobs, both in the demolition and new construction.

Work will start on the new building in January 2021.

= = = =

They are saying this as well " will be painstakingly dismantled by hand in the world’s largest voluntary demolition."

7 Likes

ha ha a nice embellishment by the writer, maybe they can reassemble it in downtown white plains… jk

1 Like

If Foster puts stuff like this in the design, I’ll love this

4 Likes

a few floors look vacated - plywood in the windows + scaffolding finally wrapping around to 47th

13 Likes
11 Likes

11 Likes

Looking back at my shots I realized I captured 270 Park and its temporary elevator. The beginning of the old tower’s end

6 Likes

In the middle

6 Likes

entrance & lobby on park ave are closed for demo. + a lot more floors looked vacated.

11 Likes

Interesting that they took out that window near the top, maybe they are starting external demo with them

1 Like

Just before completion circa 1960

Few photos I took the early morning of 5/25. A few demolition workers on site, and quite a bit of plywood in windows. (Very low quality, haven’t uploaded my slightly better pictures yet)

12 Likes

glass being removed on one floor

IMG_20190607_111429082_HDR IMG_20190607_111523768_HDR

10 Likes