NEW YORK | 270 Park Ave | 1,389 FT | 70 FLOORS

I actually don’t have a tripod in my kit yet. The image stabilization for autofocus is pretty great on my Sigma supertelephoto so I can get away with some good shots til blue hour. My camera body is too entry level to have IBIS so I’m not sure about that.

To compensate for any slight blur from the lack of tripod, I’ll usually use a product like Topaz AI to correct. However, I typically only do that for pics I’m posting to Instagram since that compression algorithm wreaks havoc.

The lack of tripod means no night time shots at the moment but I’m ok living in the light side of the Force for a bit.

Anyway, to keep on topic, here is a photo from yesterday. More shots to come.

Imgur

19 Likes

Nice. Roosevelt Island? Ah, and yes 1/2500 explains why you may not need a tripod

It was a thru a fence of a Con Ed parking lot on Vernon Blvd. If you look closely you can see people on Roosevelt Island :mag_right: in the pic

I do have plans to visit Roosevelt Island to take a LIC “class photo” of the current skyline at sunset when I get back next week.

Also I can shoot at lower speeds with my telephoto around dusk because of the Topaz tools I use to help with sharpening and denoising. I felt like I did yesterday’s photoshoot too late (too bright/harsh) but with summer hours it meant getting on site at 6am so I chose sleep.

1 Like

Some shots from me yesterday. This is huge in person!

25 Likes

Nice shots @rgarri4! Your last image really shows how much slimmer the building is since the decking and floor layout of the 3rd tier is now visible also since it’s lost 80’ of width. It should be approx 200’ by 150’ now.

3 Likes

I noticed the Topaz but wasn’t sure if you were using that to make enlargements or not. My old school analogue mindset means I probably try to do more in camera than is really necessary. I might hit RI this afternoon, great day for a ride. Enjoy your Memorial Day @baronson

2 Likes

interesting lil video about the building

8 Likes

Its more about the pictured Engineer and Foster and Partners than 270, but a good video nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Excellent video.

The best part was his explanation on how the overall form factor of the building: “was driven by the physical constraints of the site”. He mentioned those long vertical “strip lines” from base to top and the “diamond shape” on the facade - all playing a role in the “lateral stability” of the building.

I would have thought those features were the result of aesthetic considerations for the decoration, or beautification of the Architectural design: as this building is truly beautiful to behold.

That video was quite enlightening - great post.

The cladding is decorative but the structure obviously is not. He’s refering to the structure itself not how it’s expressed on the outside, so of course the structure was designed with a purpose as it is in any building.

1 Like

TKDV

I had assumed those long vertical ‘strip lines’ and the diamond shape were “decorative” decisions: my take now is they are there mainly for ‘structural/lateral support’ .

Well, that was my understanding of what he said: maybe there is something I missed… :roll_eyes:

Anyway, I really liked that video - and the overall story of that fellow was quite charming.

@infoshare I think there’s some confusion here, the cladding is only decorative but as I said the structure being emphasized by the cladding is not decorative. How the cladding expresses the structure does not make it tied to the structure, the structure is independent of the cladding, that was just a decorative decision. The whole building could have just been glass but that wouldn’t have changed the way the structure is designed or how it works.

Anyways, next level of cladding is the mech louvered cladding!

22 Likes

Here’s one from my camera from the Edge, they’ll probably install steel for the next mech/outrigger floor this week if they aren’t disassembling the 2nd crane, which I thought would have happened before they had built the 1st mech/outrigger floor.

21 Likes

Full speed ahead!

4 Likes

I’ve always thought the BofA tower was lame cuz of that tall mast. I feel like it’s cheating. So the fact that 270 is closing in on its roof height makes me smile.

2 Likes

I had always assumed the large ‘triangle’ on the facade was purely a decorative/aesthetic choice; I now see that the triangle serves BOTH a decorative/aesthetic and a ‘structural function’.

That was my take away from watching that video.

I think we may be discussing two different points; but thanks for the input anyway. Those photos you posted were very helpful in understanding the whole architectural/engineering process behind this construction of 270 Park.

Here is an example: those are ‘faux’ ceiling beams in the photo. They serve only a decorative/aesthetic purpose: but they are NOT structural. I actually thought that is what was being done on this building: until viewing that video. That was my only point.

images

Cheers.

2 Likes

19 Likes

25 Likes

This tower is MASSIVE!!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

That shot is going to look immaculate once the cladding goes up and is cleaned

3 Likes