NEW YORK | 270 Park Ave | 1,389 FT | 70 FLOORS

Like I said I like it far better than most. But I still think its a watered down version of the stuff we used to build in the past. I don’t see any “conspiracy” aspects in the comment you shared.

Lots of ugly stuff gets build just for the sake of building it. I don’t support that either. Buildings will stand for 100 years and need to be built with time and care. Just because people like to see big/tall things get constructed isn’t a good enough reason to build something. There has to be more intent than that.

1 Like

Everyone has his own opinion

Ofc you do. It’s not, but sure.

What are you talking about?

“Ugly” is and has always been subjective.

Yes. Yes it is. Well that usually combined with economic justification for such a build.
And no, no there doesn’t.

2 Likes

Approaching 500 feet. Almost officially a skyscraper.

2 Likes

There’s not really a universally accepted height for buildings to be defined/classified as being a skyscraper. They range from >100m (328’) to >150m (492’), the CTBUH only has classifications for Supertall and Megatall structures.

The top of the column splices reach about 485’, so give or take a few feet to account for error this could already be a “skyscraper” as defined by either measurement criteria that people use.

3 Likes

At this point in construction this building would already be the biggest thing in so many cities across the US.

7 Likes

This thing would have been the biggest building in my city a couple weeks after it went vertical.
Though that’s more about my tiny city than this lol.

4 Likes

I was about to say something similar in reference to an earlier stage of construction, the tabletop podium structure itself is about 85’ tall.

5 Likes

Building something just to see it get built is dumb. I’m sorry it just is.

We need to build things with intent and purpose, not just to “get the ball rolling”

4 Likes

what does this diatribe have to do with this building?

2 Likes

It’s fairly easy to follow the conversation back.

i wasnt talking to you

Hmm. Okay.

Well anyway besides that convo, what do you guys think the lighting will be like? Will it be similar to 1 Vandy or do you think JP Morgan will keep it that white color all the time? (which now that I’m thinking about it looks really similar to the Chrysler Buildings lighting)

I suspect that it will be programmable, but the way the lighting looks will appear differently than One Vanderbilt, where the former we can actually see the LED lights, the lights on here (on the crown atleast) appear to be flood light illumination like at the Empire State Building. The lighting on the diagrid and column cladding appears to be backlighting/recessed lighting.

3 Likes

Don’t want to prolong this debate but to be clear, this building is not being built ‘for fun’ or ‘just to see it get built’. JP Morgan Chase, the most powerful bank in the country (and maybe the world), needs a lot of office space for its tens of thousands of employees. They owned the previous building at this address, and had this tower designed to maximally utilize the real estate they had available to bring employees from previously disparate offices around the city under one roof. The origins of this building’s massing, as with almost every tower in Manhattan, is 90% economics/efficiency model, and only 10% aesthetics. Exceptions would be towers built purely for pride such as the Woolworth.

The alternative would be for JPMorgan to split this building in half and build it on two separate blocks, as it turns out that would just be more expensive since the savings from building shorter, less ambitious buildings would be cancelled out by increased real estate prices. The axis of height costs vs real estate costs is the driving model as to why Manhattan is vertical and most cities are horizontal.

7 Likes

It’ll most likely be white (particularly the diagrid & column lighting). That’s my suspicion since that is what is depicted in the renderings. Either way, the diagrid lighting is going to be absolutely awesome at night. If it can change colours that’ll be probably the most unique building lighting scheme in the City. The lighting for the crown appears to be inside the glass (look at the lighting at 50HY for an idea of what I mean), not floodlights similar to the ESB.

3 Likes

Omg sitting under this thing at night in the plaza is going to be an amazing experience. Especially with that brace lighting. It’ll be even better once a lot of the Midtown East towers are done, like 175.

3 Likes

The lighting at 50 Hudson Yards is floodlights against a backwall behind the parapet louvers. The only reason I believe it to be floodlighting in this case is because, the lighting has gradient qualities that wouldn’t originate from back lighting. It’s similar to 55 Hudson Yards. Just because it’s a unique corporately owned building, I don’t think JPMC would be stingy to not allow the crown lighting to be programmable otherwise it would stand out awkwardly when other similarly lit buildings around the city are all the same but for one (not including the Chrysler Building).

But I wouldn’t make an inference based off the renders only being white, lighting schemes aren’t normally depicted in renders, almost every building in the city that was recently built did not have lighting schemes (for different colors) in their respective renders (One Vanderbilt, One WTC, One Bryant Park, 4 Times Square, 10/30 Hudson Yards, 1&2 Manhattan West, etc)

6 Likes

I would say the lighting scheme for this building is like One Vanderbilt and Manhttan West more than even 50 hudson yards. I can’t say much tho, you’ll just have to wait and see just like the waterfall feature on Madison Ave :wink:

5 Likes

I was just making a point that everyone jumped onto this project like it was a gift from god. And just because someone criticized its size doesn’t give it “conspiracy theory” energy.

270 is nice, but people are still allowed to dislike aspects of it. The quality of construction around the globe is terrible compared to previous generations. I will stand by that, even on nicer marquee projects like 270.

The best way to sum up what I’m saying is that I wouldn’t travel to NY to take a pic of this building. I want more of those iconic buildings to get built. Thats how NY made a name for itself. I could see 270 get built in any Asian city.