NEW YORK | 270 Park Ave | 1,389 FT | 70 FLOORS

I always thought modernist slabs were set back from the street with plazas so that they could rise without running afoul zoning laws.

1 Like

We’ve come a long way from this.

3 Likes

No, train tracks still run under more than half the block.

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the original tower had foundation columns evenly dispersed across its footprint, threaded in between individual Metro North tracks. The six new shear walls that 270 now sits on were poured around some of these original foundations during demolition.

[Image by Adamson Associates, from a 2018 document.]

[Excerpt from the 2020 TT structural review]
I’ve added red highlights around what I believe are the reinforced shear walls for the new building, each formed around a row of the original tower’s foundations.

8 Likes

That’s what I recall.

1 Like

accurate

6 Likes

JRF,

Do you know when we might see glass and when we might see renderings of the plaza on Madison?

1 Like

Seems like a corner of the setback has been reached with the column on the northeast corner to the right with the new steel that was raised. But in general, the first setback at the 18th floor has been reached. We can also see the Park Ave atrium under the setback being formed.

10 Likes

just guessing, but glass in late august/september probably

9 Likes

Which cam is this?

wow, that’s soon! Awesome!

2 Likes

230 Park Ave cam from RXR Realty.

3 Likes

once you see several floors fireproofed, glass should follow shortly after.

6 Likes

And there’s three floors already fireproofed. I can feel that glass coming in a few weeks

5 Likes

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgp4ZLiLNSh/

17 Likes

This morning

28 Likes

what a great morning to photograph - wish I could have been there!

3 Likes

It looks so imposing already and it’s not even halfway up.

6 Likes

…she said… :smile:

8 Likes