NEW YORK | 262 Fifth Ave | 1,011 FT | 60 FLOORS

Boooooo!

Not a very big footprint.

Hopefully this doesn’t have much of an impact on the skyline.

I think that the shape is fine. My concern is what will a 1,000’ aluminum cliff look like on 5th Ave.

2 Likes

My concern is what will a 1000’ building in front of the Empire State Building do the skyline or the city itself. I don’t care about the materials as much as the damage it does to the iconic views. They could build this, same height and design, two blocks to the east, and it would be just fine.

2 Likes

I think it looks like a mirrored dresser

4 Likes

Just an early christmas gift!

8 Likes

I’ll take coal.

3 Likes

1043 feet height?

1 Like

You can get to the zoning docs through the ZoLa map the city has publicly available.

1 Like

So the western wall will be blank?

Documents say 1043… :confused:

1 Like

At 1043 ft that will put it around the same height as the observation deck at the ESB. This can’t possibly be good and I just wish there were more safe guards to prevent stuff like this from happening.

1 Like

Or it’s just a sign of the building’s age than anything else. It’s in Agent K mode. We need a building to replace it as art-deco icon. It’s the old family patriarch that’s slowly becoming more of a hassle that needs to be dealt with rather than a point of family pride. There is one project that can serve that role though, and it’s the Metlife North Building. Look it up, it’s original planned design would be great to complete!

This is highly unlikely to happen. They took out a whole bank of elevators to make more floor space.

With the restoration of that missing elevator bank and enough of a general architectural push though, it would be a fantastic project. With 262 5th though, and a handful of other projects, the writing’s on the wall for the Empire State in the long run.

1 Like

The size/shape of this building is a direct function of NYC zoning formulas regarding: FAR, height, set-back, air rights, etc. These tall thin buildings will continue to ‘sprout’ wherever a given assemblage of adjacent properties make the project feasible.

Sight lines of NYC classic skyscrapers were not part of that zoning ‘formula’ - these visual obstructions are inevitable on a small plot of valuable land like NYC.

I am continually amazed at how brilliant those zoning regulations are; there is a very ‘natural’ look to the evolving NYC skyline - and that includes these super tall, super skinny towers “sprouting” up everywhere.

gettyimages-160895680-612x612

4 Likes