NEW YORK | 260 South Street | 809 + 728 FT | 73 + 67 FLOORS

Nice!

1 Like

Isn’t that Extell’s Cherry St project but with the alternAte South St address?

1 Like

Nope, I don’t think so, It is just north to it though. The density is going to be INSANE in the area. One behemoth next to the other. Never expected this amount of density.
However it does look uncomfortably similar to Extells project… I hope this is only a massing?

2 Likes

Lower East Side Skyline Could Look Like This

Developer pre-proposals obtained by a local blog depict a potential future skyline.

6 Likes

Wow! This is the Age of Ramses!

4 Likes

http://i1.wp.com/www.thelodownny.com/leslog/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/260-South-St.-massing.jpg?resize=750%2C455

L+M Development Partners and the CIM Group are unveiling plans tonight for a new project at 260 South St. that will add more than one-million square feet of residential and commercial space in the Two Bridges neighborhood. The development team outlined the proposal for two towers, the tallest measuring nearly 800 feet, in an interview with The Lo-Down earlier this week. They briefed local residents in a neighboring complex, which the developers also own, this evening.
The massive complex is one of four large-scale projects set to transform the Two Bridges community in the next several years. It will include up to 1350 apartments, as many as 338 of the units set aside for low-income and/or middle-income families. Some senior housing is anticipated. The developers also plan new ground floor retail on Cherry Street, new green spaces and upgraded flood protection systems.
L+M and CIM Group partnered in 2013 to purchase 265-275 Cherry St. (also known as Lands End II), Section 8 rental towers with 490 apartments. The following year, they picked up an adjacent parking lot on South Street, which is where the new towers are going to rise.
In our interview Wednesday morning, David Dishy, L +M partner and president of development and acquisition; Katherine Kelman, L+M associate director; and Alex Kafenbaum, associate with the CIM Group walked us through preliminary details of the ambitious project. 
In recent years, L+M Development has become a familiar presence on the Lower East Side. It’s part of the partnership building the large Essex Crossing project on Delancey Street and has other developments in-the-works throughout the East Village. CIM Group is a Los Angeles-based firm that has become a major player in New York City during the past few years. Among other projects, it’s building condos at 100 Barclay St. and 432 Park Avenue.
Handel Architects, tasked with designing the new project, is still working on concept drawings for the two skinny towers. In the meantime, the developers are making available sketches depicting the overall size, shape and positioning of the buildings.
As you can see in the illustration posted here, the larger tower will measure 798 feet, or 69 floors. The shorter tower will top out at 728 feet, or 62 stories (the number of floors could change based on conversations with city planning officials). 
“The overall concept,” explained Kelman, “is that it’s two slender towers on a shared podium with a single lobby.” The towers start out 60-feet apart and there are a series of setbacks as they rise. On the upper floors, the distance between the buildings grows to 75 feet. “They’re intentionally differentiated,” she said, “to create some visual interest.”
The team looked at building a single structure stretching across most of the lot on South Street, but concluded that it would have blocked light and views to the East River, in her words, “diminishing the quality of the entire site.” It also would have made the open recreational spaces on the property a lot less appealing. “So, instead we decided on two towers,” said Kelman, “with space between them and a lobby with a ground floor that has a lot of transparency (allowing people on Cherry Street to see through to the river).”

Credit: L+M and CIM Group Detail Massive Project in Two Bridges Area | The Lo-Down : News from the Lower East Side

6 Likes

Changing title to: NEW YORK | 260 South Street | 798 + 728 FT | 69 + 62 FLOORS

See article and diagram above.

3 Likes

7 Likes

I am now watching this and bookmarked this project!

2 Likes

if all of these projects get built LES is going to be completely transformed.

2 Likes

http://www.boweryboogie.com/2017/07/not-done-deal-pols-push-city-planning-deny-waterfront-supertalls-two-bridges/

2 Likes
4 Likes

This was approved by city planning! :beers:

Both components or both towers which count as a single development.

The future of the LES looks to be big and beautiful.

9 Likes

Via NY ZAP search (screenshot)

5 Likes

It sounds like these towers will all be rentals which makes sense since I’ve offhandedly been told by several people who are a lot smarter than me that the condo market (at least the high end of the luxury condo market) is definitely soft.

That’s interesting to see CIM is one of the developers. They’ve been gaining more of a foothold in Manhattan after historically being known as a West Coast developer.

1 Like

terrible area for anything “luxury” anyway

1 Like

Well I’d prefer it if these parts of the LES aren’t left to remain terrible forever. Development like this can help raise up long derelict areas.

3 Likes

yes, that’s probably true,
but you need to start with a couple of luxury rentals first before you can graduate to 432 Park avenue and the likes

besides, that area is rife with public housing and we all know that public housing is sacrosanct in this city…

1 Like

Annoying and absurd. Reminds me of 200 Amsterdam. No wonder this city is constantly in a housing emergency

5 Likes

Initial rulings have been upheld. L+M Development and CIM Group will be appealing the decision.

1 Like