NEW YORK | 200 Greenwich St (2WTC) | 1,348 FT | 88 FLOORS | ON HOLD

This abhorrent monstrosity must not rise.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Fantastic rendering!

If this is the new design, and ultimately gets built, I wonder how many people on this forum will change their tune and end up liking the final product.

1 Like

The only angle where this looks remotely good is from the west. With 4WTC looking like it’s composed of 2 simple united shapes, and 3 being composed of 3 shapes, it looks good with 2 having 4 separate setbacks as it works its way up to 1WTC’s constant taper. But aside from that, it looks like shit.

Disappointed, not surprised.

Better than looking like budget jenga, though.

5 Likes

The new Foster design superimposed with the older model.

2 Likes

I have a very interesting idea for the design… instead of not occupying the entire footprint of the building, they could build 2 buildings on the 2 WTC site. They could rebuild the Twin Towers here, actually. They would just be thinner…

2 Likes

I do not understand why they can’t just bring back the original diamond design.

5 Likes

Agreed. I think the logic is something about ‘tenant amenities’ or something

1 Like

Well hopefully they can incorporate the diamond design with “tenant amenities” in mind. In my opinion, the original design is the best out of all three.

5 Likes

Most definitely. I get why some people think it is tacky, but the diamond design is the most coherent with 1WTC as they both feature the motif of a square form being chamfered from a corner, if that’s the proper way to describe it. The diamond design also has a cleanness that matches the other towers, this new design looks pretty cluttered by comparison. The mechanical floors are also poorly placed in this new design, 3WTC and 1WTC handle it well by pushing all mechanicals to bottom and top and leaving the vast midsection intact

8 Likes

This leaked design is insanely generic. It’s basically a budget build of the original diamond design, except no diamonds. It’s the epitome of how this complex turned out compared to initial plans 15 years ago. It doesn’t belong on this location.

The original diamond design complimented the complex the best from all angles, especially from the south and most importantly the East River. It’s the most iconic of the designs too.

The stacked box design was somehow aggressively more iconic than this and complimented 1WTC in a weird way. I can’t believe I miss that one now. It too looked decent from the East River.

All things considered, the downtown skyline as seen from the East River will look like a mess in a few years due to this complex and certain other projects rising up. There’s no plan/ foresight. Nothing will ever beat the silhouette the twin boxes gave downtown more than two decades ago.

I’m willing to see the building delayed another decade if it meant this tower not getting built.

11 Likes

I want to see this abomination of a complex razed in favor of the Twin Towers again, but considering popular culture and all the BS that comes with it, I will continue to try and bring the overton window back that direction the best I can.

No, absolutely not under any circumstances.

4 Likes

Come on, it’s the ultimate YOLO against terrorism. Plus you are reinvigorating the architectural works of one of the greatest architects in this country.

1 Like

Rebuilding the twins would be like responding to Pearl Harbor by rebuilding the USS Arizona. But we built new warships instead and those ones were better. The new towers don’t need to be identical to send the right message

5 Likes

Do yourself a favor and delete that post.

5 Likes

I didn’t think this needed to be said, but talking about razing buildings where two buildings were destroyed in the worse terrorist attack in US history which resulted in thousands of deaths is very inappropriate.

6 Likes

Have we seen the east facade? I wonder if it has setbacks. It doesn’t make sense to have them only on the west facade to the extent that Larry wants to maximize tenant amenities.

1 Like

They could probably still build a more modern taller version of the Twin Towers on a different site in the future/ distant future.

I think a good location would be filling in the water north of Stuyvesant High School and building it there.
It would somewhat restore the silhouette of downtown from the east.

Would be hella expensive though.

I don’t mind it. I loved the diamond design but could definitely live with this. Even though it doesn’t seem to have any coherence with 1, 3, or 4 WTC, I think it will actually come out nicely. I’ll pretty much take ANYTHING over the atrocious stacked boxes design - BIG’s design, I think. Talk about not being an icon for the area.