NEW YORK | 200 Amsterdam Ave | 668 FT | 55 FLOORS

Why the discussion is veering this way is beyond me.

Y’all, this zoning has nothing to do with rich people versus average people. 200 Amsterdam is being built in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city, and is being developed by rich people, sold to rich people, and opposed by rich people. Regulating people’s rights to build buildings which are not any different from previous buildings built in a similar location seems like a farce designed to lock in people’s property values so they don’t have to deal with the brutality of the NY resale market.

I agree that there needs to be rules about things like gentrification, extreme eyesores, etc… but this is one of the blandest developments in the city and is being attacked so much even though the opposition can give no real example of why this building actually hurts the neighborhood or their quality of life… they just keep repeating that it’s “against the rules” but what does that matter if it doesn’t affect anyone? Zoning rules are only in place to protect people, if they do not achieve that they shouldn’t be on the books in the first place— when they sue over petty things like this they are trivializing the complexity of development in this city by melodramaticizing their petty problems while other neighborhoods are truly facing disaster

These buildings are great for the city and for basically everyone who lives here because they provide a huge source of tax revenue from rich people who generally don’t pay a very fair amount of taxes… each one of these condos is providing tens, and in some cases hundreds of millions of dollars to the city which can be used to fund the city’s endless projects like the MTA and NYCHA.

8 Likes

When the building has reached this stage of near completion it is a good time to take a look at the interiors: also an interesting facet of the project not extensively covered in these architecual forums… Here is a view of one of the living rooms. What this ‘new construction’ building stock is achieving that is vastly different from most of the existing condo buildings in the area is lots of natural light pouring into the apartments, and expansive views, large rooms: most of the prewar apartment buildings in the area have rather dark interiors, limited views, and generally smaller rooms in the apartments.

4 Likes

are the NIMBYS actually proposing to tear it down after it’s completed? What insanity

6 Likes

Marie Antoinette’s famous quote was “let them eat cake”… I guess today, that would have been the royal refrain while sitting there by the marble fireplace, gazing out to that expansive view from 200 Amsterdam Ave - ‘let them eat McNuggets’. :wink:

Urban Dictionary…“Let them eat cake ” is the most famous quote attributed to Marie-Antoinette, the queen of France during the French Revolution. As the story goes, it was the queen’s response upon being told that her starving peasant subjects had no bread…

1 Like

I agree with your perspective: only jesting. However, when you look at that living room in 200 Amsterdam and then turn around and walk the streets on NYC and see the vast amounts of homeless and working poor: something seems very wrong with that kind of socio-economic disparity. I will now return to my usual activity of viewing NYC Architectural Icons that I will never be rich enough to purchase.:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Back on topic. From this morning

Looks like they are starting the crown now.

11 Likes

I would like to see that crown terminate in a super thin spike: something like 111 West 57th Street. Overall that is a nice looking profile, the stepped setbacks forming a progressively smaller profile as the tower rises to the top. This is a simple, but very artful looking, architectural design for a high rise. Good design.

5 Likes

???

I never attacked anyone (members). I deleted posts pertaining to AOC/Democrats/Poor vs Rich… because all it will do is derail this thread into politics. It entices strong views. For the sake of moderation, best to delete certain posts that I know will lead to rubbish in this thread.

I don’t like to delete posts btw, but sometimes if one post causes a chain of responses that have nothing to do with 200 Amsterdam, it’ll ruin the threads original purpose.

YIMBY will not be city data or current events on SSP under my watch. :slight_smile:

Now there is a difference between adding color to this thread in the sense of humorous posts versus posts that will outright lead to negativity. Context!

Now as it pertains to NIMBYS, I mean, this is Yes In My Back Yard, so clearly a lot of here do not favor NIMBYism in some forms. So long as it doesn’t decent into cursing, I don’t have a problem with discussion AS IT PERTAINS to a development, the NIMBY outlash.

Folks have their opinions, and this isn’t China, we will not just censor folks free speech on a development.

2 Likes

Ok I cleaned this thread up. I was out yesterday night/in the morning today, so I didn’t see some of this rubbish right away.

1 Like

A tear down won’t happen. And the litigants haven’t asked for it as far as I know. But there have been a few cases where FAR that was inappropriately built had to be removed. That is theoretically possible here but the city and courts have been so slow in making decisions that such a result might not be in the cards. And some potential loss may have been absorbed by the developer in an interim agreement among the litigants. I don’t know what is likely to happen if the plaintiffs prevail.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be further complicated for those opposing this development when this tower has residents in it? Would add a massive legal mess in the whole equation.

1 Like

Yes that would cause additional problems.

1 Like

Credit: photolinsky

14 Likes

All the way in the back

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4SAA3_nUZi/?igshid=1qf5vy3eliidz

14 Likes

Today:

Edit: Just noticed the flag. Topped out?

11 Likes

Definitely topped now

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4YaMEsnfYJ/?igshid=gisf7yiku768

10 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4fTkyJlAQ5/?igshid=187nr1qctxz0b

14 Likes

16 Likes

Credit: FC

11 Likes