NEW YORK | 1841 Broadway | 298 FT | 27 FLOORS

It does look kind of puny.

1 Like

The construction of this facade has reached the point where one can begin to visualize the final product. This is looking to me like Capital A Architecture; even if it does have sort of a ‘Darth Vader’ vibe. This is a prominent site, and this very ‘cool looking’ work of modern architecture has lived up to the occasion.

The underside of those terrace platforms look fantastic. The platforms look like black polished granite. The underside of terraces are often raw concrete: so this is a nice feature that I particularly like. The edges also have some fine detailing; they seem to be capped with stainless steel finish trim. This one has a lot of nice, high quality, features built into this facade. This one is looking great.

There are 2 photos here below; one extra, this time with a pop of color - thanks to the girl with bold colored blouse, and brightly colored finger nails. :star_struck:

6 Likes

I wish the base got the same amazing curved corners as the actual tower. It looks really nice.

4 Likes

I’m very underwhelmed by this building and not just because of the height.

It doesn’t play well with its neighbors or stand out. It’s asymmetrical in a bizarre way with balconies on basically the same side as the blank core wall. The color scheme is drab and doesn’t really reference its other dark modernist neighbors. There’s no cantilever or impressive structural flourishes which might draw attention to itself.

The base doesn’t even line up aesthetically with the tower because the corners aren’t consistent.

Maybe if this was Reddit I’d get downvoted, but to me this was a missed opportunity at in important intersection.

6 Likes

I agree! I was hoping at least for real curved windows on that corner…
They valued engineered this building all the way to boredom.

2 Likes

Looks kinda dated to me.

9 Likes

It’s very reminiscent of the old Johnson on the east side.

1 Like

It’s ok but not great. The saving grace is the fluted panels between the windows on the base. Without them it would be pretty boring. The color also lifts it a bit; that’s not a typical tone in the area.

5 Likes

True, the detail on the windows is the best part of it.
I get late Costas kondylis vibes with this one

gttx over a skyscraper page made the following informative post: I did not know about “bulk packing”. I know the overall ‘form factor’ is rather simple; this pithy comment may be in part why.

Despite being literally across the street from Time Warner Center, this block is in the Special Lincoln Square District (the boundary runs through the center of 60th Street), and as such is subject to height and bulk rules that limit the ability to go tall. These are more commonly known as “bulk packing” where the building must use a certain percentage of its floor area below a certain height, reducing the available floor area to use in a tower. The way other buildings have gotten around this is by including very tall mechanical floors above the base to get more units up higher in the air, but I know there has been some recent movement (spurred by the Extell building and others) that could potentially limit this.

END QUOTE.

And he/she is spot on regarding the idea that some developers also have certain product types in mind or are more averse to the more “out of the box” ideas to get buildings higher. The AvalonBay project just north of here on Broadway is an example of the same zoning utilized for a simple, no gimmicks residential tower that is still beautifully executed.

Those flat windows in the corner may in fact be a VE move as explained: certain developers do tend to avoid going too far “out of the box”.

Bravo to GTTX over at Skyscraper page - good points made. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I feel like it was pretty self evident that zoning was the reason that this building is small and not that tall, I don’t think that should be surprising.

I’ve never heard of that aspect refered to as “bulk packing” though, thats just a normal instance of zoning in regards to the street wall and setback regulations. Because it that was the case Park Loggia would also be slightly shorter and smaller than it is but it is not.

Something can’t be VE if it was always planned that way, the corner windows were always made of a segmented curve not a rounded one.

This small crap deserves to be in, maybe, Harlem or Forest Hills. Not suited for that part of Manhattan! Should’ve been double the height! But as @TKDV pointed out - zoning.

3 Likes

Time Warner got around this by using a little steel and the original foundation from the old convention center so they could call the new building repurposed.

1 Like

11 Likes

That third foto is spectacular! :slightly_smiling_face: :heartbeat:

1 Like

Sunday update.

7 Likes

9 Likes

OK, I am surprisingly impressed just how tall, dark and handsome this building looks when you have a chance to meet-up “in person” - these photos do not tell the whole story.

There are a lot of subtle features to this building that come to life under close observation; beautiful curves, intricate brick-work trim at the base, the underside of the terraces look like black marble, and the more you look - the finer it gets :star_struck:

Regarding the ‘looks’ of this new tower, simply stated: this is a really fine design.

8 Likes

The leaves on that tree are a lovely contrast to the dark facade. There is an understated elegance to this architectural design that I find quite appealing. :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

The rounded corners are a nice counterpoint to 30 Lincoln Plaza.

2 Likes