NEW YORK | 175 Park Avenue (Grand Hyatt) | 1,575 FT | 85 FLOORS

Is it my impression or are the developers afraid to build something taller than the One World Trade Center? I know there are difficulties in facing the Nimbys, but I feel that the developers are afraid to take the title from the 1WTC.

2 Likes

People definitely don’t want to build taller than 1WTC, but remember that 1WTC isn’t radically taller than the ESB or the original Twins, which used to be the height benchmarks for the city. I think there’s just a sense this height range has a lot more room before it becomes the new plateau, nobody is worried about being crowded out by other 1500 footers yet, and it would look kind of preposterous to build something heading towards 2000 feet until the 1000 foot plateau has solidified more. You don’t want to be more than double what the middling high rise is.

1 Like

I must admit I really like Shenzhen skyline, the Ping An building is an absolute winner.

3 Likes

“People definitely don’t want to build taller than 1WTC…”

What do you base this opinion on? There are three buildings taller than 1WTC on 57th street already and this one will be 80 feet taller.

3 Likes

That’s a technicality. 1WTC’s spire is the highest point in the city and nothing is planned in the extended future which would surpass that point (eg CPT spire brought down to 1775 feet, then cut altogether)

2 Likes

Renders I made of 175 Park
No photo credit to me

23 Likes

Oh, spires. Never mind. But this building would have to have 330 more feet of building to get that high. I think it looks great the way it is, and if it were that tall it would look great. It could actually have a whole other section with 300 more feet. Its design doesn’t want a spire though. It’s beautiful as is.

To reply directly to LucasDoLivramento, I think that’s just a lot more building to get that high. As I mentioned above, 300 feet isn’t a small amount, especially because it gets more difficult and more expensive to build the higher you go. Elevator shafts, lifting the materials, etc.

Renders look great, Springboss!

6 Likes

In Minecraft :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Crazy post!

2 Likes

Credit goes to NYguy on skyscraperpage

21 Likes

Impressive!!!

3 Likes

I like how this and 270 park are both narrow on one side and wide on the other, to match the city blocks. It reminds me of the Empire State Building and that whole era of setback-massed towers

14 Likes

So is this building 1646 or 1486?

1 Like

New York needs a 500m+ roof height building!

4 Likes

1646 is the maximum possible, but the height hasn’t been finalized and won’t be until the tower has finished going through the approvals process.

If I understand the situation correctly, this is due to the complexity of the site. Changes to the design such as setbacks (which the city might require before giving approval) could radically change the way the tower is engineered and its overall profile.

5 Likes

In those recent diagrams, the tower looks to be around 1,590 feet tall

3 Likes

Right but the point is, even the diagrams are only showing us one of many possible permutations. As frustrating as it may be for members of this forum, at this stage there is no height.

5 Likes

This building is at least 10 years away from being complete, that’s a long time. Everything is speculation right now.

1 Like

It’s too bad that the diagram for skyscraper page was already decreased to 1486! Someone should change it back for now.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s accurate. I believe that Blackstone will be the tenant. If it takes a year to demolish the existing hotel and five years to build, it should be done by 2028, assuming that demo starts in 2022.

1 Like