JERSEY CITY | 87 Newkirk Street | FT | 15 FLOORS

Continuing the discussion from JERSEY CITY | Journal Square 2060 Redevelopment Plan:

Kennedy Lofts in Jersey City’s Journal Square may be joined by an upscale neighbor

By Jonathan Lin | The Jersey Journal
on August 06, 2014 at 5:30 PM

http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/pgmain/img/jersey-journal/photo/2014/08/05/-df47b81161edd028.JPG
Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014 - Reena Rose Sibayan | The Jersey Journal

The structure currently on 87 Newkirk St., formerly the offices of Hudson County officials, is being demolished to make way for “a multi-story residential building” with market-rate rentals, according to Brooklyn-based Knight & Swan LLC, the developer handling the project.

The site of the demolition is right across the street from newly-opened Kennedy Lofts at 100 Newkirk St., where Federico Manaigo, the principal of Knight and Swan LLC, attended a ribbon-cutting ceremony today.

“We just demolished a vacant, abandoned office building,” Manaigo told The Jersey Journal on the roof of Kennedy Lofts, shortly after the ceremony ended. “[The project we’re doing] is a nice revitalization for the area.”

An architect is currently working on the conceptual design for the residential building, he said, and Knight & Swan LLC hope to begin construction in the first half of 2015. Manaigo was not able to say how many stories and how many units the building is slated to offer if and when it is completed.

[…]

http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/pgmain/img/jersey-journal/photo/2014/08/05/-06432324a68b23fe.JPG
Reena Rose Sibayan | The Jersey Journal

1 Like

4 Likes

Excavation has begun

5 Likes

There will be a groundbreaking ceremony for this building at 1pm on May 3, attended by the mayor. As you can see above, ground has already technically been broken, but this ceremony will probably mark the start of full-swing construction.

5 Likes

Great News! That site was vacant for so long! This area is prime for some bigger buildings as it is 1 block from the PATH station.

3 Likes

Yesterday
Excavation is complete I think and foundation work has begun. They had the st closed down and the excavators were out of the hole.

3 Likes

I don’t have pictures, but I can confirm that a substantial amount of the foundation and the footing for the core have been poured. This one will be going vertical in no time.

3 Likes

This one is topped out.

5 Likes

Photos by Oron_Zchut

5 Likes

From the backside of the Journal Sq station:

4 Likes

Moved to u/c. Duplicate thread merged with this one.

Can someone edit the thread title so it says 15 floors? Why isn’t the thread title with the more complete/correct info chosen when threads are merged? @YIMBY

4 Likes

Added some bulk to the skyline. There’s reports from other forums that 30 Journal Square has gotten a height cut of 200ft. I think it’ll still be a welcome addition to the neighborhood

2 Likes

It’s getting a height cut of four stories. No way that’s a 200-foot cut. But yes, the latest site plan amendment shows a height of 718’.

2 Likes

Today

5 Likes

Seems like it should be opening up very soon - 1/11

6 Likes

From my window

5 Likes

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/rental-building-offers/new-jersey/leasing-launches-millennial-oriented-mrk-jersey-city-rentals-1800-month/42641

4 Likes
1 Like

This is complete

5 Likes