JERSEY CITY | 417 Communipaw Ave | FT | 18 FLOORS

This land is currently a brownfield adjacent to Berry Lane Park, in a very low-rise and industrial section of the city. It was previously the home of a Steel Technologies Corp steel plant.

The city had planned to acquire this site to expand Berry Lane Park. But it seems they never came up with the money.

Now a developer has proposed a 210-foot, 20-story tower on the site, with up to 375 apartment units. An existing Steel Technologies foundry building would be repurposed into a multi-level parking garage. A rec center would also be built on site, as well as the possibility of a 14,000 sq ft grocery store along Communipaw Ave.

5% of units would be designated as affordable housing.

I’m very YIMBY, but I’m not too enthusiastic about this one. The site plan is kind of retro… tower in a park with surface parking and way too much garage space. This looks a lot like typical plans for Stamford or White Plains, not JC.

This one would need a zoning change from the City Council to happen, so it’s very preliminary.

Here is the link to the proposed zoning amendment:

4 Likes

I completely agree with you there. This area is becoming way more dense and new development in the area deserve urban planning in the same mindset. The rec center is a nice touch, but I’d still rather see an extension of the park than new housing (especially when only 5% is affordable). Or perhaps a tower with the rec center included in the base and expanded park space.

2 Likes

Yea, this one seems out of place. The whole site plan is very suburban. In addition (not that it personally bothers me) - the proposed tower is more than double any other building, both proposed and built, in the area - and I doubt it’s really going to look the part. I wouldn’t mind a more urban plan here, or at least an extension of the park with towers on both sides rather than a parking garage and a tower in the grass.

A note - the parking garage is not in a re-purposed building. The only repurposed building is the small office (Building 4) on Communipaw Ave.

5 Likes

Looks like the old proposal is dead and this one has been redesigned significantly…

"Skyline is including a first-of-its-kind public STEM and recreation center in their proposal. The two-story facility, tentatively called the Frederick Douglass STEM-Recreation Center, would include 22,000-square feet of space consisting of state-of-the-art classrooms, computer labs, and space for music, art, and dance studios.

The fitness area of the building is set to include a rock-climbing wall, elliptical and weight rooms, a sauna and a spacious concession area. The facility, which will be deed to the city upon completion, is expected to cost about $5.5 million and will be entirely funded by the developer."

“The development as proposed also includes a Minority Business Enterprise Success Incubator and Micro Plaza, which will offer eight affordable commercial working spaces for minority-owned businesses and two market-rate commercial spaces. The proposal would create 40 public parking spaces and build a park pathway to Berry Lane Park.”

5 Likes