JERSEY CITY | 242 Hudson St | 709 FT | 68 FLOORS

Another big one coming. 680 apartments, 18,700 sq ft of retail. It will replace half of the huge parking lot on the corner of Second St & Hudson St.

This is Mack-Cali’s next project after 25 Columbus is done. They have filed an application for Planning Board approval:

No date set yet, but probably will be heard within the next month.

This is the site that Mack-Cali refers to as “Plaza 8” in their financial reports. They list a target start of 2020 in the report below, but their targets have been overly optimistic and pushed back in the past.

http://investors.mack-cali.com/Cache/1001255446.PDF?O=PDF&T=&Y=&D=&FID=1001255446&iid=103187

What’s crazy is that this building will only fill up half the parking lot. Mack-Cali is planning an even bigger tower on this site for the rest of the lot (“Plaza 9”) which will have 1,060 apartments!

7 Likes

Wow, that’s great news! That makes two 700+ within walking distance of one another. And that’s not even including Urby or other proposed towers nearby. Here’s hoping they get those PATH improvements done quickly… Haha

3 Likes

ANOTHER one? I’m loosing track of all the JC projects

4 Likes

More apartments will be finished in Jersey City (15 sq mi, 270,000 population) this year than in all of Manhattan (23 sq mi, 1.6 million population).

More apartments will also be finished in Hudson County (47 sq mi, 690,000 ppl) than in Brooklyn (98 sq mi, 2.7 million ppl)

6 Likes

Is it possible the second tower will be a supertall?

2 Likes

I feel like it easily could be a supertall with over 1000 units. FAA review is probably the only thing that could hinder this. I don’t think there are height restrictions in that area.

3 Likes

Yeah, but the FAA review is a big deal. Given the proximity to EWR, I doubt they’d let them go over 950 feet. 99 Hudson was capped at 899 feet and is less than a mile away.

Is there any parts of JC that could potentially sprout a super tall? Since the Journal Square area was also stymied by the FAA as well.

1 Like

I hope there are areas like this one which could be approved by the FAA. It’s not that far from downtown NYC where there are plenty of supertalls already.

On the other hand, when the winds are crazy at Newark they often jump to runway 29 which has planes going north to south directly over jsq before turning west over the Newark bay extension bridge. So I understand the heigh limits in jsq. And downtown JC is not far from jsq.

So who knows. :man_shrugging:

1 Like