JERSEY CITY | 1075 West Side Ave (West Side Square) | 137 FT |13 FLOORS

This building will have 486 units and 13 floors, 45,000 square feet of retail (that’s a lot!) and 285 parking spaces on 3.35 acres. It is located where West Side Ave meets the PATH tracks in the Marion neighborhood (west of Journal Sq). The city would like a PATH station there, but there is no funding as of yet.

This building pulled its construction permits on June 25, 2020. The site has not been demo’d yet, which is odd because permit issuance usually means the building is already under construction. I’ll try to bike by the site in the coming days to take a picture.

Here is a link to the construction permit (login required):
https://www.sdlportal.com/towns/nj/hudson/jerseycity/building/permits/156776

CONCRETE FOUNDATIONs and underground plumbing FOR NEW MULTI USE HIGHRISE WITH PARKING. 477 UNITS 2 RETAIL SPACES ROLL PLANS

Here is a link to the Planning Board application, listing the height, unit count, etc.:

8 Likes

I was on the PATH this morning - this site hasn’t even been demo-ed yet. Interesting that they already pulled construction permits.

3 Likes

My mistake, sorry. I’ll have the thread title changed to “proposed.”

That’s truly a head-scratcher. Maybe things have changed since COVID started, but I haven’t seen foundation and plumbing permits pulled before demolition before.

1 Like

I’ve been by the site recently as well and nothing has been demolished. It still looks as if Puccini’s is still open, even if that was years ago lol. Fixed the thread title :+1:t3:

2 Likes

This permit is for Phase I on the 1075 West Side Ave side, while the Puccini’s buildings are on the 1072 West Side Ave side, so that doesn’t surprise me.

2 Likes

Wow look at that pedestrian plaza on west side ave in the renderings. Love that!

3 Likes

Biked past today. Can confirm, Puccini’s is still open. But the permit is for the other side of the street, 1075. And what’s odd is, the warehouses on the 1075 side are closed, but no excavation or demolition has started yet.

Worth keeping an eye on the site in the coming months in case they start soon, sorry for the false start.

The big question is: Why did they pay $29,000 for the permits (plus whatever fee the expediters/architects charged for the construction documents and filing) when they aren’t ready to start yet???

2 Likes

They still pulled permits, so that’s new. Definitely worth checking up on over the next few weeks.

I’m surprised they didn’t pull a demo permit yet - that’ll probably be the indicator of it moving forward in some way.

4 Likes

Used to live right next to there so I appreciate the updates as they come. Looking forward to this getting built and hopefully adding a Path station in the future.

3 Likes

They got a demo permit for the buildings currently on-site on 7/27/2020

https://www.sdlportal.com/towns/nj/hudson/jerseycity/properties/9204/1

1 Like

From a month ago - nothing

Will be interesting if it starts

5 Likes

Looks like demo has started? Does anyone know if construction will start right after or are they just leveling everything?

https://jerseydigs.com/west-side-square-jersey-city-begins-construction/

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they’re finally good to go now :+1:

They filed to renew their construction permit a few weeks ago. Just a matter of weeks until that paperwork is in order, and they seem very serious about starting it this time.

1 Like

They’ve cleared the site, which is very very large. I’m pretty sure it’s happening this time. Today they renewed their permit for support of excavation.

7 Likes

Official groundbreaking was on Wednesday.

6 Likes