NEW YORK | Empire Station Complex | 8 Towers | 748-1300 FT

Why not have two. The entire area surrounding Penn Station is a national embarrassment. FAR from world class in a city that’s supported to be world class.

Don’t ever champion mediocrity in a city like NY. Not if you want to keep NY as the capitol of the world.

1 Like

Then renovate the arena and the infrastructure around it. MSG is too big and iconic to just move it somewhere else. It’s not just sport fans that use the arena either. MSG has over 320 days where it’s in use. Whether it’s sport games, wrestling matches, concerts, or graduations, a lot of people use the arena for events. MSG being near a huge transportation hub is inevitable and no other location in the city has the capacity to do that.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Found this in that article you linked.

6 Likes

“We need a new Penn Station, but we’ll never have the world-class train hall we deserve as long as Madison Square Garden is sitting on top of it,”

Couldn’t be said better.

5 Likes

WAY more people use the train station every day then go to MSG.

5 Likes

Demolishing the Hulu Theater is the compromise everybody needs to get behind.

5 Likes

No compromise needs to be made. Tear down the whole thing. Its not supposed to be a sports venue, its supposed to be a train station.

1 Like

Both a major sports venue and a transit hub can co-exist. Many people use the transit hub to travel to the arena and back. Moving the arena alone is estimated to cost 5 billion. Then building a new arena and a new transit hub would even add to the already large amount of cash it would be needed to complete this project. They need to up the capacity of the station, renovate the surroundings and give MSG a facelift. MSG being in Midtown where the majority of the entertainment is fine the way it is.

2 Likes

Who cares about the price. Its NY we’re talking about, they literally have all the money in the world. Build something world class that will last 200 years. I’m tired of all these people wanting to doing things half assed, lackluster, and uninspired. If we’re always constantly being so cheap we’ll never inspire anyone to do anything worthwhile. The modern world is very depressing in that way.

LOTS of people come for MSG events, also Barclay’s. They might hang around for a while for a drink etc. then they head back home. That being said, I’d love to see it moved somewhere else.

When the majority of the pay comes from New Yorkers, of course, the cost is going to matter. I’d rather see the money go to education and building up other transit hubs. Almost every single sports venue in the metro area serves as a station/transit hub and of course, MSG being the most famous one will be the biggest one. MSG belongs in Midtown and unless you are willing to have your taxes raised to pay for the cost, they should just renovate it. In a perfect world, they would’ve moved MSG to another part of Midtown but they don’t have the space to do it so they must make do with what they have currently.

1 Like

Nice things attract talent. We live in a global community where talent can live anywhere they want. You want them to move to NY?

Then you have to build world class amenities. Plenty of young talented people looking to move somewhere other than NY, which has trash on the streets and dingy, terrible subways.

And yet plenty of people demand to live here.

6 Likes

You can have a world class transit hub and an arena in the same area. New York is one of the very few cities in the US where you can actually get away with not having a car. Having MSG right next to a major transit hub does not only provide quick access to the arena but deters people from bringing their car into the city. Why take your car and be stressed about parking when you can take the train to Penn station and walk right outside to MSG?

3 Likes
1 Like

Just build highways, as I have said. The Mid-Manhattan expressway would literally run right across 31st street to the south of the station as a matter of fact, and enable easy pick-up and drop-off operations.

“Just build highways” - Every bad urban designer in the 60s.

Sorry man we’re trying to progress not go backwards

8 Likes

This world isn’t all candy canes and sunshine though. Sacrifices need to be made, and I think it’s time for a reconsideration of some old proposals. Highways may not be perfect, but they’ve certainly got it where it counts; Transporting people.

Highways and the cars that roll down them are meant to transport people, move them from place to place, just as much as high speed rail, subways, bicycles or one’s own two feet are. They were designed and built for humans, by humans, just the same as you or I.

Humility is a virtue.