NEW YORK | Empire Station Complex | 8 Towers | 748-1300 FT

Unfortunately it looks like the taller towers in Hochul’s plan are barely ~300 meters. In the new render, Vornado’s 15 Penn is clearly the tallest building in the complex at 1270 feet. Now, that render doesn’t represent what will actually be built so perhaps I’m jumping to conclusions, but it did say the heights would be reduced. Of course, building height is one of the least important parts of this plan (what’s way more important is how it would improve Penn and transportation infrastructure), but still, it would be really lame if they build just one or two supertalls next to the busiest transportation hub in the country. It’s one of the best places on earth to build ultra tall and dense.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s unfortunate. Both the fact that the heights are getting chopped (though the skyscrapers weren’t designed yet to begin with, so is it really chopping them?) and the fact that Vornado’s terrible 15 Penn will be the biggest.

1 Like

Overall, I won’t complain about this redevelopment, but MSG needs a good recladding.

2 Likes

Agreed. It seems unlikely at this point that they’ll leave, so at least make it look good.

Updated.

9 Likes

Hochul is hilariously bad. Do not vote for her.

Less density and smaller buildings? Really?

2 Likes

“less density and smaller buildings” Yeah, while technically correct the buildings are still massive and they’re not even the focus of this project. Besides I’m pretty sure they did that to preserve views of the ESB.

6 Likes

I’ve heard that they’re only planning to reduce the size of the buildings, but that doesn’t equate to the height

Let’s all be realistic, these buildings are going to take forever to be built out. The market conditions aren’t great and competition is fierce. In the meantime, these plans will fluctuate and hopefully the density/height designs will improve as the market does

5 Likes

QUOTE NYguy.
Time to get back to business, as revisions to the GPP are released. Some of these changes came under Cuomo’s office, and could be refined even further. But this is where we are:

[b]1.

This is where the reduced density comes in, and the bulk of it seems to come from site 2, though there are still two very large towers planned on the site.

Changes from the draft to the current plan…

A mix of uses as usual to help ensure a lively streetfront…

A little modification to ensure better site lines to the Empire State Building…

The new train hall on 7th Avenue…

Timeline of approvals…

44.[/b]

10 Likes

What a joke. What does “prioritize views of the Empire State Building” mean anymore? 262 5th Ave will absolutely destroy views of the Empire State Building. These buildings I don’t think would do a single thing. They should be increased in height, not decreased.

11 Likes

Infos from June 2021

and more:

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/CACWG-Meeting-8-Presentation-Urban-Design-Overview-ESD-FXC-06-15-21.pdf

more Infos:
https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/CACWG-Meeting-7-Presentation-Overview-of-Draft-GPP-Planning-Work-ESD-FXC-06-08-21.pdf

6 Likes

:eyes:

17 Likes

I think that 15 Penn looks great.

2 Likes

On SSP NEW YORK | Empire Station District | 9 Towers (18-20 msf)| FT | FLOORS - Page 44 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Pennsylvania Station Area (formerly Empire Station Complex) GPP and Draft EIS Public Hearing

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUucO-qrD4vGN3tlsmBnhLyP93suzVYUDAh?utm_source=Penn+Station&utm_campaign=4db89845c4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2021_12_28_02_31&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b5a2611d7e-4db89845c4-449889775

20.Jan…2022 05:00 PM in Eastern Time (USA und Kanada)

9 Likes

And your daily dose of comedy is served!

1 Like

I’m generally against high taxes, but I think that the city should end MSG’s tax break. Since they refuse to move and play all, they should pay up.

4 Likes

„ Another public hearing will be taking place on January 20th, and the public comment period is slated to end on February 22nd; a finalized plan is expected by this summer.“

Site 5 on SSP

Credit: Nyguy

I have changed the title of the topic:
Empire Station Complex and (Penn District).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZILXMyp2K1/

4 Likes

Rendering of a redesigned 33rd Street next to Penn Station.
Rendering of a redesigned 33rd Street next to Penn Station.
COURTESY OF GOVERNOR HOCHUL’S OFFICE

„ The public comment period for the project continues through February 22nd. The last public hearing concluded last month with hundreds of speakers, many voicing concerns about the loss of historic buildings in the neighborhood and an influx of even more new glass towers to Midtown, as office vacancies persist.“

3 Likes

Hmm, understandable. I guess we’ll just have to see if they plan on releasing more in depth info on it.