NEW YORK | Empire Station Complex | 8 Towers | 748-1300 FT

The plan is expected to create about 20 million square feet of mixed-use space including Class A commercial office, retail, hotel, and residential, and calls for five supertalls ranging from 1,018 to 1,300 feet in height, in addition to four other major skyscrapers.

Three of the eight proposed sites would accommodate an expansion of Penn Station south of the existing structure, which would allow for up to nine additional tracks and five new platforms, stairways, and station entrances, given the above-grade mixed-use developments accommodate that expansion. A Penn Station expansion is part of a separate planning and federal environmental review process, involving the Metropolitan Transit Authority, Amtrak, and the New Jersey Transit Authority.

Next steps for the plan consist of a virtual public hearing on the draft Environmental Impact Statement and General Project Plan on Tuesday, March 23, 2021 from 5:00PM to 8:00PM, followed by a 30-day public comment period. The Empire State Complex project is expected to be completed by 2038.

8 Likes

Site 5: NEW YORK | Penn Plaza East | 1,300+ FT | FLOORS (Vornado)

Site 7: NEW YORK | Penn 15 (401 7th Ave) | 1,200 FT | 61 FLOORS

4 Likes

This proposal is amazing, even bigger than Hudson Yards, legitimately Rockefeller Center-esque… but BIGGER!

Why not build a Midtown West equivalent of Bryant Park above a rebuilt Penn Station, btw?

5 Likes

So much potential here for a megatall. Plus some of these buildings could use a spire

5 Likes

Fantastic. Build build build!

3 Likes

13 Likes

Wow! :open_mouth: :fire:

3 Likes

I might be wrong but if they really want to do this I feel like they would try to shorting the timeline more. Now for the overall design I would love to see a concept art for Penn station and the towers before I make a decision if I like this or not.

A online brochure whith Renderings from Penn 1, 2 and 15 and more (floor plans).

Rendering credit DBOX via Vornado Realty Trust

7 Likes

7 Likes

a 1270’ offset core… great… Can we trashcan the offset core concept already? Horrible aesthetics.

5 Likes

Looks like another tower behind the abomination. At least it will hide the core

1 Like

I don’t understand why the state is pushing this right now. There is already plenty of class A space, and 3 Hudson boulevard and 2 WTC are both at ground level still waiting for tenants…

2 Likes

Surely the state is pushing for all the space in a perhaps useless effort to raise money for the project. Just the infrastructure cost here (forgetting the buildings) is quite large.

1 Like

14 Likes

https://urbanize.city/nyc/post/approval-empire-station-complex-plan-paves-way-10-new-towers-near-penn-station

https://www.vno.com/office/property/one-penn-plaza/3311658/landing

https://www.vno.com/office/property/penn-2/3311675/landing

3 Likes

so what is it? Penn District, or Empire Station? I’m getting some weird vibes between Vornado and Cuomo here.

2 Likes

If I confused you with the comment, I say sorry.
As a German / European I thought the Empire State and Penn District are the same is project.

Empire Station Complex is the Thread not Penn District

Not your fault Mackensen. Your English is sehr gut!

YimHudson is pointing out that there’s confusion about what this mega-project is called. In these articles they switch back and forth between calling it “Empire Station” and “Penn District.”

2 Likes

As this is mostly based on Cuomo press releases, should we just go ahead and rename it to Excelsior District, which is what it will invariably be called?

1 Like