Chicago | James R. Thompson Center | 308 FT | 17 FLOORS

8 Likes

Why can’t any of those buildings be built?!? Chicago would have the most futuristic and amazing skyline in the world! Rgarri, you have done an amazing job!!! For reference, do you think you can add some of those mega talls to your New York City model? I’ve never seen a render of New York City with any mega tall.

1 Like

Most recent update. I honestly think the gears could start turning on something here in 2022:

3 Likes

A rough sketch of a one-kilometer-tall Thompson Center redevelopment— exactly what Chicago needs!

4 Likes

Conceptual proposal showing the preservation of the Thompson Center with added tower. Rendering by Helmut Jahn

Multi-tower conceptual proposal for Thompson Center site. Rendering by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture

Original Plans and Perspectives of the Thompson Center. Drawing by Helmut Jahn

8 Likes

They should go with Jahn’s proposal to add on a tower to the existing structure, as opposed to demolishing it completely. It would be a real shame if this impressive and unique building is demolished.

2 Likes

That is why for key projects of city wide importance we need to take the individual aldermen out of it. I also think for the benefit of the state budget the city should approve an as of right zoning for a supper tall with as of right bonuses if they keep the train station access and atrium. doing this will add to the value of the property yielding a larger sale price for the state which can use the money. If we only sell it for the land value minus the demolition cost with no guarantee of any zoning approval we are cutting ourselves short on the profits and the long term economic benefits.

@rgarri4 , do you think you can post a render of the Chicago skyline from this angle? I added the location and heights of some of the major developments in a rough sketch, but I would love to see it with your Chicago Model.

5 Likes

Next time I have it open I will. I’m also thinking of making the whole model available to play for a month by streaming it online. I’ll keep you posted.

4 Likes

OK. Thank you!

1 Like
10 Likes

A sale of this building unfortunately doesn’t mean a 1700+ foot future skyscraper. In my opinion, this is the best spot in Chicago (after the Chicago Spire) for a mega tall development.

5 Likes

I hope something impressive is built here. Chicago deserves nothing less.

2 Likes

RIP Helmut Jahn, sad it had to end this way.

I’m still in shock.

What a shame.

4 Likes

I hope they go with Helmut’s idea to attach a supertall to the back end of the Thompson Center and keep the famous atrium. It’s such a cool representative of '80s architecture and interior design, I’d hate to see it demolished.

9 Likes

Must be at least 2000 feet.

Or at the very minimum 1777. :wink:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/maryannahernnbc/status/1471175430417825794?s=21

5 Likes