AUSTIN | Wilson Tower (410 E. 5th) | ? FT | 45 FLOORS

Marketing materials for the Avenue Lofts site from real estate firm CBRE, which brokered the Wilson Capital acquisition of the property, showed speculative renderings of a tower here that could be built under current entitlements and other restrictions. There’s no indication that Wilson Capital’s tower will look like this, of course, but it’s a wonderful visualization of how much density could fit at this address beyond the current five-story building. Image: CBRE

6 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Wilson Capital’s purchase of the Avenue Lofts site at the beginning of 2022 was the fourth negotiated buyout we’ve seen in the last few years of an established condo community in downtown Austin with a larger tower project in mind — other recent sales include the Villas on Town Lake, the Railyard condos, and Brazos Lofts.

3 Likes

Or here

Edit: Going through the discussion again it may be 410 East 5th- currently proposed at 54 floors but is said to be “drastically updated.”

Austin 4th supertall

Thread titel change: 410 East 5th

New category

Austin proposed?

Not a supertall only over 800 feet.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-search-other?t_detail=1&t_selected_folderrsn=12939377&t_selected_propertyrsn=549074

on ssp

Originally Posted by Urbannizer

I can say the super-tall rumor is real. It has been upped from 859’ and from what I know it’ll be the tallest proposal outside of NYC.

taller as 1400 feet? Tribune Tower east Chicago

Quote:

Austin-based real estate development firm Wilson Capital announced this morning that its redevelopment of the Avenue Lofts site will be significantly larger than previously reported. The multifamily residential building planned for the 0.8-acre property at 410 East Fifth Street, now known as Wilson Tower, is set to rise 80 floors to a total height of 1,035 feet — and yes, that would make the project the new tallest tower in Texas upon completion, exceeding the height of the Waterline supertall project currently under construction a few blocks away by 13 feet.

Wilson Tower is described by its developer as a signature 450-unit apartment building with residences ranging from studios to 3 and 4-bedroom penthouses. Designed by the Austin office of global architecture firm HKS Inc., the building’s impressive height is matched by a remarkable appearance — its signature design feature is a brise soleil, or shade structure, wrapping the tower’s entire glass exterior on the eastern and western elevations. It’s one of our favorite architectural touches on many midcentury buildings including the nearby Cambridge Tower, and seeing this sort of design updated for a modern tower is a welcome addition to the Austin skyline:

“Our vision for Wilson Tower is to set a new bar in skyscraper residences for Austin that we believe will foster creativity and social connection. Along with welcoming outdoor terraces and gardens, the tower itself is wrapped in a brise soleil that offers protection from the hot Texas sun and wind while also providing structural strength. This brise soleil gives the building uniquely shaded and comfortable outdoor living spaces on every level.”

It’s up for debate, but the building’s curved crown created by the brise soleil reminds us of the nearby Pennybacker Bridge. Sharp readers may note that the structure’s impressively thin profile is partially due to the setbacks imposed by the Downtown Parks Overlay due to the presence of Brush Square directly south of the project site — we weren’t sure how the redevelopment of Avenue Lofts would respond to this little-known regulation, but the building’s sharp look is a pleasant side effect.

As the city’s tallest apartment building upon completion, alongside its unobstructed (and presumably well-shaded) views Wilson Tower is set to offer four floors of resident amenities including a pool deck, movie theater, and cocktail lounge. The building also plans an entire floor dedicated to pets, including grooming services, a playroom, and dog run. The tower’s ground-level streetscape contains a signature restaurant and bar space, plus valet parking for residents.

Along with its designers at HKS, the project’s development team includes interior designers Britt Design Group, civil engineers Kimley-Horn, and landscape architects Nudge Design. The building is expected to break ground by summer 2023. Did you really think downtown Austin had run out of surprises?

11 Likes

Looks awesome!

5 Likes

Eh. .

1 Like

I’m with SMCYB, this is a very eh and lackluster design, the parking garage podium wrap is the best thing to me. Very disappointed in the future tallest building in TX even though I wasn’t expecting much after the previous height increase resulted in just a plain glass box.

3 Likes

The rumor has been confirmed.

YEAH

The Wilson Tower

5 Likes
2 Likes

It’s really a shame that Austin has wasted its building boom on such banal buildings. Also, is every new tower perched upon an enormous parking podium? I think that NY and maybe Boston are the only US cities that don’t have that. Those things look like crap.

5 Likes

It may be Austin, but it’s still Texas.

7 Likes

Miami suffers from this phenomenon as well. They are still very much car cities unlike New York

4 Likes

That’s true.

Comes down to zoning and parking minimums. I can’t recall where but there was a great graphic recently that showed how large of a surface parking lot the Hudson Yards would require if NYC had the same parking minimums as other US cities — it was bigger than Hell’s Kitchen.

5 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckcars/comments/vs2uzr/parking_requirements/

12 Likes

I get the point you are making and generally agree, but in this case I quite like this tower design.
It seems sleek and elegant, and I like the color scheme although the massing is a bit bland like you say.