2020 Census Results

We can discuss the results and implications of the 2020 Census.

The city exploded during the 2010s decade, reaching over 8.8 million people. The metro area became a mega city two times over, swelling to over 20 million people for the first time.

Please see this link: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/newyorkcitynewyork

4 Likes

So Brooklyn has roughly the same population as Chicago. Amazing.

5 Likes

At this point, it’s possible Brooklyn has already passed Chicago in population, assuming the shown trends have continued. I’m hoping NYC breaks that 9 million mark by the next census. Really impressive growth!

5 Likes

They should!

Brooklyn should have a better skyline, too.

1 Like

I bet we’re already over 9M with the illegals.

1 Like

For NY State: (click to enlarge)

2 Likes

BoshWash:

Population change. Click to zoom. Note the % parameters on the lower left.

1 Like

NYC gained an entire Denver!

6 Likes

It’s interesting Brooklyn’s growth is higher than Queens. There’s always been the idea that Queens will eventually overtake Brooklyn’s population.
Nationally, Phoenix is now ahead of Philadelphia.

2 Likes

Philly’s skyline spanks Phoenix

7 Likes

It sure does! Philadelphia’s skyline is stunning.

2 Likes

The Pheonix population being larger than Philly thing is a joke. Pheonix’s land mass is nearly four times larger than Philly, and the city’s density is under 3,500 people per square mile, while Philly’s is almost four times larger. The total number is larger on paper, but in reality, Philly is a much larger and more urban area. If Philadelphia annexed the land of its surrounding suburbs, it too would see considerable population growth. But adding 78k and taking a big step back to our old 2 million is all good with me!

4 Likes

1 Like

E8rPJJPWEAEW4YA

3 Likes

I really don’t understand how NY still lost a seat. All the increase in NYC and lower ny state and we still lost a seat🧐

1 Like

because other states grew even faster

3 Likes

By less that 100 people - :slightly_frowning_face:

6 Likes