NEW YORK | Columbia University Manhattanville Campus | (15 Buildings) | FLOORS

Columbia University Manhattanville Campus Expansion

Development Plan

Construction will occur in gradual phases, primarily on the four large blocks from 129th Street to 133rd Street between Broadway and Twelfth Avenue. Also included are properties on 125th Street and on the east side of Broadway between West 131st and 134th Streets.

Site #1:

3205 Broadway [Commercial Observer]: Columbia University is set to begin work on a “60,000 square-foot academic conference center” at their Manhattanville Campus, wedged between West 125th and 129th Streets. Permits to demolish a one-story structure at 3205 Broadway have been filed with the DOB.

https://nyocommercialobserver.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/3205-broadway.jpg

1 Like

Construction is wrapping up at Renzo Piano’s Jerome L. Greene Science Center, the first building for Columbia University’s Manhattanville Campus expansion. Set to open Spring 2017, the 9-story, 450,000 square-foot building will bring together researchers from across the University including the Columbia University Medical Center, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science. The ground floor will house the Center for Education and Outreach, a public education center focused on brain science that will serve the general public and K-12 schools.

The third RPBW building in Columbia University’s master plan for the Manhattanville campus, the Academic Conference Center, has reached ground level. Located south of the Science Center, it will house a 400-seat auditorium and state-of-the-art seminar and meeting rooms inside a five-story structure.

Credit: FC

5 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Update: I have no photos, but building one and two are complete and the foundation for buildings 10 and 9 is finishing up. Crane is on site. So this should start rising soon.

5 Likes

4 Likes

From a couple days ago

6 Likes

8 Likes

https://scontent-vie1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/2e60fe2d5216a6880fe3c0550e4de90d/5DE6EF88/t51.2885-15/e35/s1080x1080/62628157_653715411759918_1501639339519743646_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.cdninstagram.com

image via https://www.instagram.com/januspropertycompany/

7 Likes

This is maybe the 3rd new building to go up on the new campus, it is closest to the bridge that extends Riverside Drive over the valley below, the topography of the area is quite varied; it has steep hills and valleys. The new buildings are a bit banal looking with some interesting detailing on the glass facades to break the monotony. Compare this ‘campus’ architecture to the architecture (federal style it think) at the original campus at 116th street nearby: the original is far more beautiful. I am a fan of modern architecture: but the classical design, cohesiveness, and overall artistry of the original campus is far superior in every aspect of design and construction IMHO. :astonished:

4 Likes

I have to disagree with you there @infoshare. The use of glass might be monotonous, but I think the design here is in fitting with a vibrant 21st century campus architecture. The original campus uses the federal style to impose a strict cohesiveness throughout. As beautiful as it is, the interior needs of the school have to fit within a building that’s all about the exterior. It worked for campus architecture of the past. What Diller Scofidio Renfro and Renzo Piano have done is design buildings that takes the functional needs of the school and show it through to the exterior. It shows buildings that are vibrant, light filled and fitting for the needs of its occupants. But yes, the cohesiveness and planning of the original campus is beautiful and exemplary of great public design. I think one thing the new campus is missing is elevation and stairs to zone spaces. It’s what makes the original campus so successful. Can’t wait to see it finished though!

4 Likes

Very interesting change in design the differing principles involved. I see this new campus is being designed from ‘the-inside-out’ , and the original Federal Style 116th Street campus being designed within the cohesive ‘outside-in’ traditional style. I see the merits in each: the old and the new.

2 Likes

Tectonic

6 Likes

Tectonic

7 Likes

Is that McDonalds across the street actually closed?? that thing was a major blight and waste of space

Yes it’s closed.

Not sure why the IG link isn’t working on this one.

5 Likes

8 Likes

8 Likes